• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce a/c project

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
these are all the pictures i took. none of lines or dryer, but that is relatively obvious. cab is not sealed or insulated yet and still much better than no a/c. sanden compressor and other parts from ebay. i can send you a tracing of the rear bracket, it is too big to scan.

tom

Attachments

runk

Tom,
Thanks for the pictures ! How did you run the belts - both belts around all 4, or different routing for each belt ? Any problems with the belts (slipping, wear, etc.) ? As I understand belt routing, it is ideal to have at least 120 degrees around each pulley in a v-belt setup, which isn't going to be possible with the compressor mounted above the alternator. I like your mounting idea the best of what I've seen so far, and expect to use a similar mount, so I would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks,

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
belt wear/tension is an issue, but i have only adjusted it twice in 1000 miles. it does need an idler on the back between the a/c and alt.

tom

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tom, I have to say, I am really impressed with your ingenuity. It's such a simple and yet clever system. Inexpensive, effective, doesn't require hacking the truck up, etc. Really well thought out.

Now that I've suitably buttered you up, I have some questions.

new SD508 compressor, $155
new condenser, $90
new evaporator, $135
2 belts, $34
hose fittings, $17
OK, there are tons of cheap SD508's on ebay, I assume you are using a 24V clutch? The 24V units are far less common.

And so far as the condenser and evaporator, what do we search for? I hate to buy something generic, especially since R134 is so specific to having the condenser and evaporator sized correctly. Do you have sizes, model #'s, anything?

And is the fan in the evaporator box 24V as well?

Belts, fittings, hoses and the brackets (I may need a copy of your template) I can do. But I've gotta' know how to find the condenser and evaporator.

i have the template for the rear mount, the 2 others are just 1/4" by 1 1/4" cold rolled stock. the fan only clears the compresor shaft by 1/16"!! but anything is enough........
Considering there are a lot of clutches out there on the front of 508's, how do you know which one will clear? Do you have a part # or a spec? With my luck, I'll buy one with a clutch that sticks out 1/8" more than yours.

And I doubt trimming/clearancing fan blades would be a good idea.

Thanks in advance!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
clinto and others, this is what i found today on ebay. search for 'new universal sanden style sd508', also 'universal underdash evaporator minibus' and 'universal condenser 14 x 24' the fitting size should work out right and the minibus evap is more btu than i used, but i would go with it next time. (22,220 btu versus 13,000)
i ran the whole thing on 12 volts since the evap is electronic and 12v

tom

andytk5

clinto and others, this is what i found today on ebay. search for 'new universal sanden style sd508', also 'universal underdash evaporator minibus' and 'universal condenser 14 x 24' the fitting size should work out right and the minibus evap is more btu than i used, but i would go with it next time. (22,220 btu versus 13,000)
i ran the whole thing on 12 volts since the evap is electronic and 12v

tom
M-35tom, can't thank you enough for posting up a thread about this. I am ordering my 508 compressor now. I was originally going with a "nostalgic air" kit but looks like this will be a better route.

Has anyone mounted the compressor above oron the other side of the engine? I was trying to go with alot of 12v stuff later and alread have an extra batt in the box as well as tmamerica bracket for the gm alternator. Good stuff!:beer:

Also any noticeable benefit to the $10 extra 709 7piston compressor over the 508 5piston compressor being the 709 is more output?

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i ended up with the minibus unit on the ceiling of the cab, 28 deg air! no cab insulation yet but it has enough cooling to overcome even that. also got a vanner 50 amp batt equalizer so no problems with batteries.
tom

andytk5

Wrecker - that is a good setup and price. I already ordered my compressor though.

Tom - i just ordered my 709 compressor, prob go with NAP underdash evap. Should be awesome!

andytk5

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks