• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce a/c project

digitaldust

is there a heat only box I could use Its never hot up here but its -25 too much ! I dont want a kit that goes on the truck blocking the left side eng and oil filters Just a little heater core box with blower and defrost in the cab under the dash

baxter

Tom any updated photos of the lines being run. A friend and I are thinking of doing the same thing. Great looking install.

Vaughn

TexAndy

I'd also like to see a picture of the interior of his deuce showing how well his windows and windshield seal against the frame of the cab.

Mine has some significant gaps that make me doubt the efficacy of an a/c unit...:cry:

tm america

nice job .it would be nice if you were willing to sell the templets or put together a kit with the brackets and part numbers for the compressor,condensor,belt,and the air dryer you used.the evaporator could be switched for other style or different mounting locations if wanted . like for someone with a soft top for instance

jesusgatos

nice, but i would have to lose my 12 volt add on alternator, i used that spot already
I'm planning on putting one of your 12V alternators there too, so I've got to figure out where else I can mount a compressor. I've already mounted a giant RedDot condenser on the roof-rack over my cab and I've got the heat/AC unit mounted in my M109 box, so the compressor is really the last piece of the puzzle...

TexAndy

This may be a dumb question... but why add a 12V alternator to a deuce?

Is it for charging a single battery dedicated to cab accessories only? If so, where do you put the third battery?

avengeusa

This may be a dumb question... but why add a 12V alternator to a deuce?

Is it for charging a single battery dedicated to cab accessories only? If so, where do you put the third battery?
12 volt accessories, lights, winches, radios, gps, laptops, you name it

the battery goes in the std battery box

but this is an ac discussion, so we will not get off topic here

I have got the ac add ons planned also, but it is hard trying to find a place to stuff the compressor, i am thinking a compressor that is electrically driven via the 12 volt add on alternator

tm america

I'm planning on putting one of your 12V alternators there too, so I've got to figure out where else I can mount a compressor. I've already mounted a giant RedDot condenser on the roof-rack over my cab and I've got the heat/AC unit mounted in my M109 box, so the compressor is really the last piece of the puzzle...

if you get a dual voltage alt off of a hmmwv you can mount it in the stock location they are 100 amp and that will give you 12 and 24 volts then you can put the compressor where he has his.i got my dual voltage alt from teds truck and stuff for 250 brand new.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

if you get a dual voltage alt off of a hmmwv you can mount it in the stock location they are 100 amp and that will give you 12 and 24 volts then you can put the compressor where he has his.i got my dual voltage alt from teds truck and stuff for 250 brand new.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good idea, but Avenge's 12V alternator mount will give me 200amps and I'm going to have a big bank of deep-cycle batteries to charge, so I'd like to get the extra juice that dual alternators can offer. If I have a hard time finding another place to mount an AC compressor, that might be something that I'll need to reconsider though.

jesusgatos

Oh rearry? Might have to look into that...

Avenge's alternators still have the advantage of being more modern/universal, so I know I wouldn't have to worry about finding a replacement, but that's pretty cool to know that the 12/24V alternators are available in higher-output versions.

tm america

ya the 200amps were an option on the abulance version of the hmmwv and also came on the fmtv . teds has a bunch of the 100 amp unit but who know someone else might have the 200amp units at a reasonable price.they can be had from the manufatur but they are pretty pricey from them

Gotta have one of those!

Nice clean A/C installation.

I bet there's a bunch of Texas deuce owners who would give their right lug nuts to have such a setup!

Let's seem some pics of the finished product.

A fella has to wonder: if they can make an Alternating current 5000 BTU window unit A/C for $99 then why can't someone make a similar Direct current unit for $500.00 that could be adapted to a Deuce???

It should only pull ~45 amps.

Oops...probably going off topic!

[thumbzup]

Kohburn

for an RV conversion you can just use the alternating current since you will probably want it for other appliances.

zout

Dinger65 acutally brought this thread to my attention. Very good thread.

Searching out equipment that would mount with the best ease of install for the boxes on the 109's a system with a mounted compressor was searched - kept going back to the Red Dot system.

For the 12v charging issue in the 109's for the 12v battery bank of 4-105 ah deep cycle AGM batteries we went with this system for charging - it is the 66-100 from the list:
http://www.vanner.com/client/images/manual_Battery_Equalizer.pdf

This charges the 24v system from the OEM system - it as well charges the 12v battery bank whenever the engine is ran.
The inverter/charger as well can put the 12v batteries back to full charge from several power sources - so this covers different concepts to get the 12v system charged.

To keep this on point - I like the concept of installing the compressor to the place as pointed out - a thought would be to mount it a little more secure for vibration issues.
On the 109's I would run a/c lines up the backside of the cab securing them as best as possible (with a roof mounted condensor unit) and up and over to the unit. I have installed systems this way years ago on tractors.

I am curious as to the volume of freon in this install from M35Tom - I am guessing around 2 or 2.5 lbs. Also is this a R134 system.
Running lines appears to have been the easiest to figure out as far as components.
If this style of system would have been utilized to the M109's Dinger65 and I would have had to run the frame - leaving some flex room and up the nose of the box and across the top to the condensor - then calculate the freon.

If you get time please update with completed system as I am intersted and possibly others are as well. Good Thread

TexAndy

Hey M-35tom,

Would you mind posting a picture of your setup with the belts installed? I'm having trouble figuring out your setup without seeing the belts on...

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I saw Tom's truck at Aberdeen this spring. I must say that this is the nicest deuce I have ever seen. Besides A/C , I fell in love with what he did with the airpack and master cylinder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks