• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DEUCE AIR LEAK

MILRET45

I've traced an air leak on my recently purchased truck to the line connection at the rear of the air gauge. The coupling nut is screwed down mega tight on the gauge but the line swivels at the coupling nut where it adapts to the short flex air line under the dash.

Is there any trick to breaking this nut free? Wrench torque on the nut overcomes one's ability to hold the gauge tight and I'm concerned about damaging the gauge. Should that line swivel in the first place with the coupling tight?

acetomatoco

more elbow grease.. seems like some Mechanic #333 has torqued to too tight before trying to fix the leak... I suggest just cutting the hose after you get the replacement an also putting a new gauge on the new hose. Remove the stub of the old hose from the other end with a good tubing wrench. Lots of used parts around to accomplish the task.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MILRET45 said:
.....Should that line swivel in the first place with the coupling tight?
The hose will swivel until the very last fraction of the turn, should be tight when fitting is tight.
If you can get a 9/16 wrench on the gauge side to hold it, perhaps you can break the fitting loose....

Attachments

MILRET45

Re Cranetruck's response, I assumed the swivel should have ended with a tight coupling, thanks for that. It looks like I will need to go the new hose route. I tried putting a think 9/16th on that jam but unsure of how much tension it would take before damaging the back side of the gauge.

KaiserM109

A trick I use on brake lines that I don't want to tear up is to use Vice Gripps instead of a wrench when unscrewing. Sometimes even a flare nut wrench will tear up a nut. Use the correct wrench putting it back together, though, and DON'T OVER-TORQUE.

Armada

Let us know if you find a source for new hoses. Mine leaked at the swivel and the only replacement I could find was a take off.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
anybody find a replacement for these hoses? i believe the hose on the air valve for the front axle is leaking too. are they they same animal? it would be great to get a new one that way i dont have to think about it leaking again:roll:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a short air hose that is made to go between an air tool and the quick air connect fitting for vibration isolation. It has male pipe fitting on each end and is about 16 inches long. I can't remember the size (probably 1/4") but it was $3 at the Chinese tool store (Harbor Freight).

There is no swivel to orient the gauge so install the end in the manifold on the firewall first and then remove the gauge from the instrument panel and snake the hose through the instrument hole. Tighten hose on the gauge until the gauge keys to the hole and then install the gauge, clamp and you're done.

cessnatwin

just put a barbed fitting in there on each end and lowes sells some red air hose that is a 1/4" inside diameter. just clamp it up good and it is a perfect fix for the hoses under the dash as it is a common problem, If you twist the guts out on your air gauge like one of mine did. I have plenty more of them brand new in the box, do not freak if that happens cause sometimes it does.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jIf you twist the guts out on your air gauge like one of mine did. I have plenty more of them brand new in the box, do not freak if that happens cause sometimes it does.
I had my hose off the gauge allready so im good there. My gauge dosnt read ass accurately as i would like, so maybe someday if i find a full sweep gauge like on an A3, i would like to put one of those on. its just 1/8"NPT on the gauge, correct? what connection is on the other end of the hose? Thanks!

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up two from Feebay. I'm hoping that I can use one for the gauge that's got a slight leak, and one for the front axle switch that has the same leak. I'll post when I get it together! {fingers crossed}

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks