• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Air System vs 3/4" Impact Wrench

houdel

yorkgulch2 said:
Where do you find a inexpensive 350 ft lb torque bar or wrench?
I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are talking about a breaker bar, do not go cheap. I bought two 3/4" MIT breaker bars at about $20 each and broke both. I finally went to my local auto parts store and bought a K-Tool 3/4" bar for about $40 and so far I haven't been able to damage it even with a cheater extension as long as the breaker bar itself. If I had the opportunity I would have gone with a SK Wayne or Craftsman bar, but where I live now my options are limited. If you are talking a 3/4" torque wrench, Harbor Freight has one in the $100 range. I haven't tried it yet, but it should work OK.

One word of advice. I used to spend a lot of time working with the tools. I have SK Wayne 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" socket sets I bought 40-45 years ago and they still are as good as new. I completely wore the chrome plating off the head of the SK Wayne 3/8" ratchet (if you are wondering, they are copper plated beneath the chrome), then wore out the teeth on the ratchet mechanism. The dealer put in a new ratchet mechanism at no cost and it worked as good as new until someone stole it out of my shop, which PO'd me greatly.

As for screwdrivers and combination box/open end wrenches, I use only Craftsman. They are as tough as anything you can find on the market, and if they do wear or break, they are exchanged for new with no questions asked. I found a Craftsman screwdriver in a house I had bought, the screwdriver had been ground on and otherwise mistreated to the point it could not be used. The Sears store replaced it with a new one, no questions asked. Sure, I paid a premium price for my SK Wayne and Craftsman tools, but when you consider had I bought a cheaper set I would have had to replace them 2-3 times over the years, they are well worth the investment. I used to buy Stanley screwdrivers, I could wear those out in a week. My Craftsman screwdrivers are over 40 years old, they are well scarred and marred, but other than one I bent using it as a pry bar (and was promptly replaced at no cost) they are still as good as new.

Don't go cheap on tools. If it says "Made in China", it is a throw away. It may last a week, a month or a year, but it will break just when you need it the most. Taiwanese tools are better than Chinese, but none are good as US made tools. Buy a reputable name brand, they will last a lifetime and will not let you down just when you need them the most!

TheBuggyman

Re: RE: Deuce Air System vs 3/4" Impact Wrench

rizzo said:
I set up a 11gal tank with a 1/2 t on it and a 1/2 hose running to the gun, then I put a mal quick connect on the whole the little hose comes out of so I can fill it with the compressor at home or the gladhand.

works good. I can even remove 4 front spring u-bolt nuts with one tank of air before refilling.
That's a good idea Rizzo! Looks like I need to go to the hardware store!

yorkgulch2

RE: Re: RE: Deuce Air System vs 3/4" Impact Wrench

I believe it is called a torque bar (have not found torque stick ref) they are colored for different torque ranges. I believe they flex when you reach the specified torque. This allows you to use an impact to torque down lug nuts without exceeding max torque rating. If I could get one in the 325-350 I could use the air impact on the lugs. A 350 ft-b torque wrench for $100 would be cheaper than any I have found. Will check HF

bottleworks

Re: RE: Re: RE: Deuce Air System vs 3/4" Impact Wrench

yorkgulch2 said:
I believe it is called a torque bar (have not found torque stick ref) they are colored for different torque ranges.
We are talking about the same thing. Two different names for the same thing...
Here's another place to look:
http://www.torquestick.com/

Edit:
Here's a 350 Ft/Lbs stick with 3/4" drive.
http://www.torquestick.com/cart/cat...ICK_TORQUE_EXTENSION_BAR_3_4_DRIVE-p-129.html

and here is a 350 Ft/Lbs stick with a 1" drive.
http://www.torquestick.com/cart/cat...STICK_TORQUE_EXTENSION_BAR_1_DRIVE-p-132.html

I have never bought anything from these people..This is just what I found when searching...

yorkgulch2

RE: Re: RE: Deuce Air System vs 3/4" Impact Wrench

Bottleworks, Sorry I missed the link. Torque stick is what I had in mind. I will call them and see if they have the Budd app in a 3/4. I could use a 1 inch with adapter too. Don't think I will find a good torque wrench for twice that price.

number9

Here is how I did mine. I use this with the deuce as well as the house compressor. I use my regular 1/4 hose to feed this. With a little time and this, I can run my 1" impact off the deuce. The hose on the air pig is 1/2". FWIW an inline tank like this also makes a fair moisture trap.
How long is that air hose and where'd you get it? I can't find a 1/2" with 1/2" fittings under 25' long.

rizzo

How long is that air hose and where'd you get it? I can't find a 1/2" with 1/2" fittings under 25' long.

I bought a 1/2" slinky hose from the industrial supply shop. they also made my 50' 1/2" hose. They asked what length and crimped the ends on

1stDeuce

Ok, with all this discussion, I'll admit it... I don't properly torque my lugnuts. When I got the truck, they were tight plus about a half a turn, and I had a heck of a time getting them off. Now I run them down with my 1/2 IR231 impact at 90psi on the #4 air setting. (with one of houdel's 3/4" sockets adapted to 1/2") I would bet that this is in the ballpark of 250 ftlbs, which is fine by me. And this way, I know they'll come off at full power, even if I have to crank up the air a little. If I forget and leave the impact at home, I even have a chance at cracking them with the hand tools in the deuce. :)

I just bought a gladhand adapter, and that off emergency plus a 3/8" hose seems to run my impact at full strength. (or better since the deuce is at 120psi!!)
the connector under the dash with the same impact and hose was not capable of generating any torque from the impact at all.
Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks