• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce alternator dead

dozer1

Recently I had helped a fellow member recover a deuce at Fort McCoy. His 109 had no voltage output from the alternator. One thing I noticed about the truck is that it had a battery disconnect which broke the ground. The batteries were switched off when we got there. Once that was figured out, we jumped the truck and no juice yet. OK here's the question. Would it fry the alt if someone shut off the disconnect while the truck was running? My guess is yes and that is what caused the failure. Any thoughts on that theory and if so, maybe disconnects have a downside on a vehicle that runs without the need for an electrical system.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... OK here's the question. Would it fry the alt if someone shut off the disconnect while the truck was running? My guess is yes and that is what caused the failure. Any thoughts on that theory and if so, maybe disconnects have a downside on a vehicle that runs without the need for an electrical system.
The answer is yes. Similar to having a poor battery terminal connection. Many references to the keywords "load dump"...

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I learned that the hard way a while back, I used to jump my deuces to move them around and one had no batteries in it, well it didn't take long for that alternator to fry. All that voltage built up with nowhere to go will burn out the alternator. If he is near you and needs a replacement shoot me a PM.

saquishmike

I had a problem once with the batt on / off switch in the cab being bad and the alt was good just not reading on guage . I still have the new alt in the box .

Rustygears

It's pretty hard to fry an alternator except by short circuit or excessive loading over a long time which wears out the commentator & brushes. The regulator is what fries due to transient load switching.