• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce and 10,000 pounds

barnetc1

Ok i got a camper that is about 10,000 pounds. I was needing to know if the deuce can pull this without trailer brakes, can it stop it ok.

tm america

i have pulled 10000lbs behind a deuce without trailer brakes and it isnt much fun. i wouldnt do it unless it was a emergency .If something goes wrong you will have no way to get it back right . Not to mention the deuces brakes are about maxed out with just the truck .

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree with tmamerica and Gary.

Wire yourself up a trailer brake controller. a 24-12 converter, some wires and relays and you are good.

And yes, instructions on how to install a trailer brake controller have been covered many times on the forum, do a search and you shall be rewarded. :D

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are local to me and my company, we investigate accidents and such, if you decide to do this that will make you a prime candidate to be a new client.

DON'T DO IT.......Like Clinto said, it is to easy to make the brakes work.

Westech

CPL
Now if you had a 5 ton it would not be a problem. I haul my 5k pound camper all over the place and I can not tell its even back there. The 2.5 ton brakes are not that much larger then the rear of a M1008 (1 ton pick up) If you tow much more then a couple thousand pounds your going to feel it big time! The brakes are really way under powered for a loaded Deuce.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed deuces behind my deuce, and I've towed a 10,000 lb laundry trailer behind the deuce as well. I got them home, 100 miles from the auction site, but it's a little hairy. If someone panic stops in front of you for any reason, or the road surface is wet, YOU CANNOT STOP.

Heck, coming back from Haspin this time, I was towing a 5,700 lb M37 truck behind the deuce. In WV on I-64 there is a 6-mile long 7% grade, and the extra weight was pushing the truck down the hill until I was red-lining in 5th gear. It took a lot of pressure on the brakes, until I smelled them, until I was in 4th gear, and I just tooled down the hill after that in low gear at 40mph. It's not a situation I'd really want to be in again. If the road was wet, I probably would've lost control of the truck.

Figure out how to hook up the brakes, or get a bigger truck like a 5-ton. You'll thank us.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Also noone has mentioned the power of a Duece multi Fuel engine . If you have no problem going real slow then dont worry but if you want to run 50-55 except down a steep hill you will need a bigger truck.

barnetc1

Thanks to all, i will get a brake controller next week. As far as going slow thats no problem, i like just cruising and showing off the truck.:D

Stalwart

Just whatever you do don't tap just one battery for the 10-16 A of power needed for the trailer brakes. The resulting battery imbalance will make you sorry later . . . fat lady sings

nhdiesel

Like many have said, the limiting factor are the brakes. You would THINK it would be safe, considering the Deuce is rated for a 10k payload in the bed, but if you did that you would want to be VERY careful.

In the end, I would say it depends on your state's laws about trailer brakes, your towing experience, and how far you had to go and the terrain and roads you had to go on. The truck and drivetrain will handle it just fine, I've had 10k behind a Jeep Grand Wagoneer and it handled just fine. Its STOPPING you have to watch out for.

Jim

Josh

I have about 2500 miles on my deuce towing a 8k trailer with out trailer brakes. Free ways, 2 lane blacktops. Only time I have trouble stoping is when its wet out. That said, I rigged a hotwire from the brakes to an aux. battery and put a switch in line. If I flip the switch it will automaticly lock the brakes on the trailer. Not something for all the time brakes, but it is a nice little safety feature.

armytruck63

Whoa Josh, that sounds like an all-or nothing approach. A braked, but not locked up, tire has better traction and stopping power than a locked up tire. Not to mention the flat spots you're getting on your tires every time you flip that switch. Plus you have to remember to flip that switch when you need it most.

If I find I will be towing something this heavy, I'll look into a trailer brake controller.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks