• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce and 939 series size difference

m715mike

Attachments

Last edited:

Doug Roberts

I added that info because it's good to know , especially if you're buying a Deuce and you find a nice one but there's a ding or 2 in the sides . There are lots of M900 series truck being parted out , so finding straight sides isn't that difficult or costly. This is the case with mine

m715mike

Awesome photos.

Funny thing is I cannot drive a manual. That being said, my roommate does and I'm usually a quick learner so I'm not worried. That's why the 900 series interested me so much.

But the size difference does seem to be significant. And although you look like more of a badass in the 900 series, I am leaning towards a deuce.

One thing not mentioned in this thread.... A M35A3 could be the best of both worlds for you. It is a Deuce with an automatic transmission.

That being said. I completely agree with Scar59. Everyone should learn a manual transmission.

Thanks for the pics!

You are welcome.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a little info to avoid confusion, it's actually M939 series and not 900 series. When you say 900 series it could get confused with trucks like a M915 which is a completely different animal than a M939 series.

KaiserM109

Two Trucks.jpg
When I bought my deuce I found that working on it is a lot like the Jeeps and Fords I have worked on, except 50% bigger. The M923 is a whole different animal; not just bigger but different. I have some minor back brake problems and it looks like I'm gonna have to pay to have the chambers rebuilt.

I just finished changing an 800 lb. transmission, but I can't work on a 3 or 4 pound brake chamber because of a dangerous spring!

I do enjoy the 5 ton more because it isn't so much work to drive. My son has long called the crowd of people at a Walmart a "buffalo herd". There's a song that says you "can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd" but it's a lot of fun driving a 5 ton through one!

rory1919

I have both, and I drive both quite regularly. They are completely different animals with completely different pluses and minuses. The ONLY way you can make informed decision is to review and DRIVE both. All of the opinions here are just that, opinions. And they are not your opinions of what you want and like.
better yet, do like me and buy one of each before you've ever driven one. Then decide. Keep one sell one or keep em both!!!

I felt like like I was ducking jnder the wipers on the 5 ton even and I'm only 6'2"

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having had both, the deuce is definitely harder to drive just due to the power steering issue. If you're having to navigate a parking lot the size of the truck isn't as big a difference as how hard it is to turn it. The big issue for the 923s is, depending on your state, how hard it is to get a license for it. That's the main reason I got rid of mine.

002.jpg

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the A0-A1 (larger non-turbo engine) get the 5-7ish and the A2 (smaller turbo engine)can get up to 9-10.

A lot depends on where you drive and how you drive.

My deuce gets 11-12 mpg on flat roads at 500 ft above sea level, cruising down the hwy at 45 mpg. I don't have enough miles on my M931A2 to know yet.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3 deuces have power assisted steering and automatics, but still the 5 ton(A2) power steering and 65mph+ top speed win out in my book. If you buy a deuce be prepared to drive slowly. About 52 is wound up on my A3.... If you buy an A0 5ton, 55 mph is about top speed with much less fuel mileage. If I was only going to buy one, it would be an A2 5ton. Like others said, buy one of each :) I'm trying to. About 4 or 5 years ago I never thought I would have any. Good luck and let us know what you get.

rory1919

Really 65 in the 5 ton?

at 58ish, I get an "over speed" warning light and that was going down hill. Do I need to change something to get up to 65?

rory

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really 65 in the 5 ton?

at 58ish, I get an "over speed" warning light and that was going down hill. Do I need to change something to get up to 65?

rory
Nope. Just ignore the idiot light. It's "supposed" to indicate when you are going too fast for the current CTIS setting. That being said, the tires are also a limiting factor as for their speed rating. They are rated at 55, but that is at max load, heat etc. I will run my truck that fast, but not for a hundred miles without cooling down, which kind of eliminates the benefit to driving fast.

Ford Mechanic

Really 65 in the 5 ton?

rory
I can run 72-74 mph, I disconnected the overspeed light and turned the governer springs up. Check the 5 ton hotroding section for a thread called bumping the power on the Cummins 6CTA

Lex_Ordo

Best Answer:
Time in type. Either truck is fine if you learn the nuances of the particular one. That said...

I have an M35A2. I love it! I like driving it, I like it's profile, the way the nose looks, I like the fact that I don't have to climb up so high to get into it (on either end). I love the Multi-Fuel motor, and of course...It's year of manufacture and that it is a manual transmission.

I also have a couple 5 Ton, M923A2 trucks I use. I like them too. They definitely are more of a climb to get into the cab or the bed. You sit a lot higher than the deuce, and the truck is significantly larger overall; height, length, weight. I enjoy driving the Auto Trans in the M939 series, and the power steering. I also like the drop side cargo beds. Really like those!!! But they are also available on the 1987 contract M35A2C trucks.

Personally I prefer the Deuce, because of it's design over the boxy look of the 923, but if I did not have my deuce, and because of the condition of many of the M923A2 5 Tons coming out of Liquidity Services, I would not hesitate to get one straight out of GL! Most, from what I have seen during screening have all been re-built at Red River Army Depot, TX, and are re-painted. They look as new. They have a few hundred miles on them since their re-build dates which span from 2010 to 2012, and they are real clean. That is not to say they are problem free though. Remember these trucks, and all military equipment sit for months on end never being used, and seals dry out along with other issues that might require a bit of attention once you take ownership. Nothing pressing, but the M923A2 is a HEAVY TRUCK, plain and simple! Be prepared for he expense of maintenance and repair with a heavy truck.
Also, 5 Tons are air brake systems and require a CDL with Air Brake endorsements. Deuces do not. This might be a deciding factor for folks.

Let us know what you decide. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Nationwide 63s

I have both....the Deuce is more of a bear to drive. A lot of pre-trip inspection, loud, slow and no power steering.

The 5 ton takes up a lot of room but it's a dream with power steering, air brakes etc. I used to drive 5 tons in the Army, so they are a bit more familiar to me.

IMO, if you aren't familiar with big trucks and still want the 5 ton go for it....but it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the capabilities and restrictions of "Large Cars" before you get on the road and commute with the masses. These trucks don't get up to speed like the guy in front of you would and they definitely won't stop like the guy in front of you would. Just be safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks