• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce and a half questions about transmission

bilyeuc98!

To start off I'm looking a A2 deuce and a half and the A3. I love the A3 with the single tires and I hate the double tires on the back of the A2 but I do like the multi fuel engine on the A2. Is it possible to put a multi fuel engine in the A3 and how much would it cost? Im thinking no because the multi fuel engine on the A2's we're manual and I was never taught how to drive one. I like automatics because I can get in it and go. Thanks for the info/knowledge.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
an M35 is NOT the best vehicle for learning how to drive a standard.
I've been driving stick all my life and every one is a little different. You could probably find a friend with stick and ask them to teach you. 30 minutes to a couple hours and the rest of your life. It is one of those skills that might get rusty with misuse but comes back fast. If an M35 is all you got, as long as someone is there helping out I think it could be done.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3s have that CAT engine.

Funny you should mention learning to drive a manual transmission using an M35. That's exactly the vehicle I learned on some decades ago.
Ah heck that's right. Forgot.
I was thinking 5 tons with the LDS.

I bet learning a stick in a deuce was an ... experience! I learned in a '66 El Camino.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have seen and driven that A3 in Indiana, its a good truck! I'd be torn between the A2 and A3 only cause the A3 has no overdrive.
I love shifting gears!
I love multifuel!
The cat has more power!
Air assist steering is awesome!

Tough call, but if I were to choose between them, I'd go for the A3 in your case.

WOLF DOG

I have the A2 version with a manual transmission, and like the ability to decide which gear I want to use at a certain speed. By shifting gears manually, usually by sound and feel, I become one with the truck, which I enjoy. I also have manual transmissions in my F350 pickup and Jeep YJ.

rustystud

I have the A2 version with a manual transmission, and like the ability to decide which gear I want to use at a certain speed. By shifting gears manually, usually by sound and feel, I become one with the truck, which I enjoy. I also have manual transmissions in my F350 pickup and Jeep YJ.
Now take that up one notch and learn to shift without using the clutch. It is a real good feeling to be able to shift by throttle and engine RPM alone.
I had to drive a platoon of my fellow Marines back to base after the clutch got stuck and would not release. That was three hours of fun !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks