• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce and oscillating idle behaviour

Hi guys,

I'm lurking for a Deuce and found one in Ebay here in Germany, where Deuces have become quite rare. Most of them seem to be in caring hands, and the prices get gradually higher.
The offer is here:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300092824173&rd=1&rd=1

I have been over to the guy and had a lengthy look at the truck. The price he is asking is rediculous. It was a firetruck, which was re-converted to standard while still serving in the army. It still has a lot of alterations (battery is where the spare tire normally sits, pressure tanks are where the battery normally resides, it has a muffler, is normally aspirated (no turbo :-(( ), heating unit is in the cab, not under the hood, and so on). It would take a lot of money and a new paint job to build everything back to normal standards. Ahh, it has 27000 miles.
Anyhow, when I fired it up it instantly ran, but had a rough idle. Sounded like it is oscillating, accelerating and regulating down again in roughly a one-second cycle.
Throttle responsivness was normal, though.
Anyone has a clue what that could be?

Cheers,
Mark

red devils dude

the heater mount might be stock you said it was a fire truck is it a M530 fire truck? if so some of those thing's(battery is where the spare tire normally sits, pressure tanks are where the battery normally) are stock.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, adjusting the idle a little higer to 800 rpm or so, should solve the oscillation problem. N/A engines are set lower at about 700 rpm.

So, that's about $9.300....

Thanks for the answers. Don't have any clue if it was a M530, but it might have been one, judging by the alterations, as you said, rdd. The cockpit is stille red and has all the switches / pumpcontrols and gauges in it. The only numbers I have are

contract daae06-70-c-0001
stock nr 2320-077-1622

Hmm, don't know what I should do with it. It has not enough original stuff on it to convert it back to M530 standards, and I don't know if going all the way to M35axc standards is worth it.

One thing is clear: the price is way off. I wouldn't pay more than 1500 to 2000 Euros for that. There's too much one has to invest. Although it is somewhat a shame, the seller has no interest or knowledge whatsoever about it. The vehicle just sits there rotting away. This deuce needs to be liberated!

I'm going to phone the seller one of these evenings and have a little chat with him....

Regards,
Mark

JDToumanian

Anyhow, when I fired it up it instantly ran, but had a rough idle. Sounded like it is oscillating, accelerating and regulating down again in roughly a one-second cycle.
I have a Detroit Diesel that idles like that for about a minute or two after starting up, only when the engine is cold. It's common for those engines, I was told it's the governor "hunting" and not to worry about it. If my deuce did it I wouldn't worry either, except that the governor is inside the injection pump and so would be difficult to repair and expensive to replace.

Maybe use it as bargaining power, along with everything else the deuce would need to restore to original condition...

Jon

alphadeltaromeo

Mine is presently doing the exact same thing. It wasn't before, but is now. When I started it up the other day, it oscillated and then after 10 secs it shut down. So I started it up and pulled the throttle just a tad to make it 1000rpm and the problem did seem to calm down until it was warm. However, that was on a very cold day the other day. I need to change all of my filters and would like to do just what emmado has done by draining his tank, etc. I do need to fix my fuel pump situation though. I don't believe that's the cause, but it does need a fix.