• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Antenna mount

Alredneck

Banned
Apparently I have those pubs and didnt even relize it. But thanks Will for allowing others to be able to have access. Im goin to have to go and make a list of all my commo TM's ( I forgot about most of them and didnt even look at the rest ). Thats a good lookn set of convoy light Emmado. Hope this clarifies a lot of confusion and everyone can get the right parts for what they are trying to build!

CliffW

Bulldog how come you did not put your cable on the inside of the convoy light pole? That will keep it from getting riped out of the light.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The closest thing to a military GMRS antenna that I'm aware of is a discone, too big for a deuce. There might be an aircraft antenna of some sort available but I don't know. If you need a GMRS, best to find a small one like the cop cars use and put it somewhere it won't show. It can be painted green if non-metallic paint is used, such as latex enamel. Since a GMRS antenna is naturally quite short at 4-6", even a military stub base with no whip would be too long. You can also make an antenna if you wish, it is not too hard for GMRS band.

If you want a CB antenna with no fuss, use the HF whip antenna with 3 sections, and make the top or bottom section the short type.

Use the AB-652 base, and this is normally used with the MS-116-117-118 MAST SECTIONS - each 39.3"L.

Instead of this configuration, do one of the following:

substitute an AB-21 - MAST SECTION, 27"L for the lower section,
OR,
substitute an AB-23 - MAST SECTION, 27"L for the top section.

The result is two 39.3" sections and one 27" section, so that the total length in conjuction with the AB-652, makes a very good match for the CB, just like a commercial whip.

The coax cable does not just screw on to the antenna. If the antenna end of the cable has a connector, remove it and strip/free up the inner conductor (hot) and the shield braid (GND) for a couple inches. I used RG-213, a high power and durable type of cable. You can use RG-58, RG-8, RG-213.

The antenna base mentioned usually has a screw terminal, and you will need to attach the hot conductor of the coax cable to that, and attach the ground shield of the coax to a wire lug and screw that to the sugar scoop mount. The coax shield should be soldered to a short piece of wire, and this wire goes to the lug, and should be soldered to it. This is so the shield will reach the lug. A star washer must be used for the ground screw to make sure the ground connection stays good. Once this is done, cover all exposed shield, wire, end of the coax, screw terminal, etc, with silicon glue. I'm glad this came up, because I decided to go take a picture to illustrate, and found some corrosion. Even though it still works well, it needs PMCS.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
Ok here are the GRMS radios, ones a GM360, the other GM160, the 360 is just like what we use to use in iraq to monitor the iraqis with and listen to the surges talk to the I.P.'s, bastards, yes the insugents use motorolas. Anyway the radios operate at UHF 403-470MHZ or VHF 136-174 MHZ also 3 different lowbands, power output is 1-25watts. The antenna I use to use on my humvee was a small wire one, which if I had one I could still use but was trying to keep everything military looking. These radios are secure and I am planing on using them for internal comms they still have the Govt software in them. I have been looking for more handhelds to go along with these like the ones we use to use in the Army also the software for them. So that it can be changed from time to time. I see them on auction at times but need to come up with more cheese!! Captain

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
welded up my own version

I have been contemplating where to mount my antenna, for parades, desert rides etc. I wanted it removeable and not in the way of the cab canvas or drilling holes in the side of the bed.

I noticed a 3 hole pattern towards the back of the truck under the bed so I welded up this contraption. Nice and sturdy and removable. Not too high and displays flags well.

Attachments

Stanles

Howdy all been noticing quite abit of discusion lately of antenna mount on the back of the cabs of the deuces so I thought I would enclose some pics of the one on APOC! It was on there when I bought her from the auction and I am looking for a matching unit and antenna but one that will work with a GMRS radio and CB. I would like to maybe Put a portable ham in later on in life if I get the funds and liscense. So if you got questions or need anyhting give me a buzz. Captain
What is the diameter of the pipe and the walls that hold the antenna?

KsM715

Roughly 2 1/4" OD and 1/8" wall thickness (aluminum). I just went out and checked mine with some cheap Home Depot calipers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks