• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce as daily driver?

I just past the 5 year mark using the Deuce as a daily driver. I will have to admit that more than a few times I wished I had something else to drive home after a hard day at work work.

TB58

I have about 12000 miles on mine in less than a year and I am living in it. Sometimes I really wish I had a normal vehicle for a quick run to town or if I have to go downtown for something where the streets and parking is small. Overall it hasnt been a huge hinderance. I have to plan my trips a lot more. I have decided if I cant park somewhere then I really didnt need to go there. Overall I still really enjoy firing up the deuce everyday.

The maintenance has been the toughest part. Since it is my only vehicle and where I park most nights dont like people doing maintenance I have to plan ahead a lot more. It would be very nice to have the ability to park the truck in a shop for a few months and really take my time going through it

my blood flows OD

I drove my 1970 M-35a2 bobber with 14.00 20's on mraps for 18 mouth, it was the only thing I owned.No heat wasn't to bad it was the lack of defrost that was a little ruff in the New England winters. But then again I drove a 1967 CJ-5 with only a bikini top straight thru the winter as because a guy at work said I couldn't do it. Huh I showed him.
once you drive one of these as a daily drive for a few months you will become so comfortable in the handling of a big truck.
And yes the amount of people that want to talk your ear off about it gets to be a little much on a daily bases.
its all a state of mind. If you need be at a constant 67degrees at all times. It's not for you. If you don't like climbing in and out of it. Take your skirt off.
As far as being to hot. You fold out the wind shield and it's so nice. Constant protein with all the bugs you are taking in.
in traffic I used low range and crawled.
I can't wait to get my M-813 on 16.00 on the road. It's been to long sence I drove a mv as a daily drive.

Jericho

l used a M 561 with just a vinyl top for three summers every day 40 plus miles to work May to Nov. then my M 109a3 for the last three No problems, as long as you watch yu oil and run clean fuel your OK Tires on the steers don't last long.

71DeuceAK

I guess I'm not the only crazy one. I've considered owning a Deuce, as my first vehicle, and daily-driving it. Either that or a 939 series 5 ton. In the winter. In Alaska. Commuting between Fairbanks and Delta Junction.

71DeuceAK

I'd say, despite planning on driving one every day, that everything is just slightly harder on a Deuce. Door handles, window cranks, clutch pedal, steering, stopping, the ride, especially on a dirt road, etc. They're just very rattly and shaky in general, kind of disconcerting if you're not used to it!

71DeuceAK

OK, here's how I'm looking at it. I'll try it for some amount of time (A month?) and see how it goes. Either I'll hate it and go get something else as an errand-runner and grocery-getter and commuter car (but keep the Deuce) or I'll love it and drive it every day. Thoughts?

Kyle F

I have about 12000 miles on mine in less than a year and I am living in it. Sometimes I really wish I had a normal vehicle for a quick run to town or if I have to go downtown for something where the streets and parking is small. Overall it hasnt been a huge hinderance. I have to plan my trips a lot more. I have decided if I cant park somewhere then I really didnt need to go there. Overall I still really enjoy firing up the deuce everyday.

The maintenance has been the toughest part. Since it is my only vehicle and where I park most nights dont like people doing maintenance I have to plan ahead a lot more. It would be very nice to have the ability to park the truck in a shop for a few months and really take my time going through it

you live in your duece like an rv kinda situation? if so ive been planning on turning a m109a4 into a truck that i can live in. If your are, are there and pointers you can give me on it?

TB58

Kyle F - I do. here are some pointers I can think of off the top of my head:

1- Think very very very hard about what you will actually need to keep in the rig with you. Space disappears very quickly and the longer you live in it the more stuff you will accumulate and eventually run out of places to put stuff.
2- Propane Vs. Electricity. Everything right now is run off of electricity which is fine if I don't need to run the heat or A/C. Once I start to run either I had better have some amazing sunshine or be plugged in.
3- Lay out. although counter space sounds great, it is all but useless while traveling. I am finding that open floor space would be nicer than the huge amounts of counter space I have is.
4- Set up time. You can build the most intricate Shangra-la on six wheels but if it takes more than about ten minutes to set up you will never use it. Of course if you plan to park some where for extended amounts of time this isn't an issue, but if you are using the truck as your only vehicle this is a big deal. Simple is king.
5- Insulation. Not just the R rating of the insulation but also sealing the envelope. Just like a house in a cold climate, if you have drafts, which military equipment is known for, you will have a rough time regulating the temp. Some day when I have all the time and money I could want I would like to have closed cell spray foam sprayed in to seal everything
6- Frame rail storage boxes I am still working this one, but having some where out of the living area to store tools and POL is a great Idea.
7- LED lighting. Probably the best option, it is bright and very low draw.
8- Electricity off of main engine. My truck came with a dual voltage alternator, but on my way down from Alaska it decided to die on me. It started arcing across the stator. It is a huge help to be charging your battery bank while driving around.
9- Ventilation. try and find a way that you can get a decent breeze through the living area. This will be a huge help in cutting down the need for the A/C and help prevent moisture build up.
10- Chasis maintenance. Inevitably you will need to work on the truck itself. Having the tools with you makes this much less stressful. Having a place that will allow you to work on it is even better.
11- Forced organization. I am horrible about organization and this set up reminds me of that all the time. Even a few items not put away(see #1) will make the living area shrink horribly.
12- Talking to people. Just about every time I get fuel and most times I stop other places people ask me about my rig. Some are really interested in it, some are curious and some think I must be some kind of crazy hermit to be living in my truck. I find all of them to be entertaining and will do my best to talk to them all.

Kyle F

I have a floor plan set out

I wont be using propane or electricity for cooking I have a

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...DK4cYVyGjHzOb4Z8wVlrJ6_L3_khjwTolfhoCGmPw_wcB

The truck will be set up full time since i just bought my own and ill be living in it

insulation will be removed and replaced with http://www.ecofoil.com/Learn-About-...e-Foil-Insulation-White-Foil-3x125-375-sq-ft-

Wont be using any frame storage places with the design i have

Don't care if people see me as a crazy hermit i'll be laughing at them when im saving minimum $1000 a month not paying any bills

71DeuceAK

TB58, I like the sounds of your set-up! (solar, charging batteries while driving, etc). I remember our discussions on daily-driving a Deuce up in the Fairbanks area. I'm currently looking at buying a particular piece of property outside Delta Junction but if that doesn't pan out you just gave me an...idea!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks