• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Aux 250 gal. fuel tank

st8drumz

Looking into putting a 250 gal fuel oil tank in the front of the bed between the seats. Been looking for threads about this and nothing that I've seen (yet) is quite what I'm looking to do. Got a pm in to a guy who was talking about doing it with a 300 gal tank but haven't heard anything back yet. Not decided on transfer pump vs. gravity feed line w/a valve. My thoughts on securing are bolting it to the bed/frame (it's on angle iron skids) and welding up a bolt in (maybe welded permanent) cage made of 2-3 in. square or rectangular tubing.

Any thoughts/advice/input would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Industrial Bulk Container, They hold 250-330gal.

Do you plan on driving great distances a lot(in one shot)?

ibc.jpg

st8drumz

do you recommend that over the oval fuel oil tank that I already have? Able to attach a transfer pump or would that require fab? advantages/disadvantages compared to the metal tank?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Home heating oil tanks are not approved for fuel transportation on the road.

It will be a great reason to get pulled over.

st8drumz

Don't ask-don't tell right?? :) Kidding, that's good to know. suggestions/recommendations? What about the IBC recommended by gimpyrobb?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, your looking at about 2500 lbs when full and protected with a cage.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IBC, not legal for fuel.

Why do you want such a large tank?

Have you considered a 100 gal fuel transfer tank ? fwiw, it's not legal to have one connected to your fuel system.

What is your goal?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, with the paranoia in today's society, I can guess every motorist you pass will be dialing 911 and reporting a giant army truck with a bomb strapped in the back barreling down the highway...

st8drumz

The idea is having on-board fuel/storage "in the event of..." What about 2-3 separate transfer tanks? 2 L-shaped tanks mounted "saddle bag" style under the seats and maybe 1 in the center. I have a cargo cover so the only folks knowing anything about it would be those who actually look in/get in the bed.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That is why I asked about distance driving in post #4.

If you want extra fuel "just in case" put it in an IBC. When you need it, load it, and put the cargo cover on for stealth.

Its my understanding that you are not legally allowed to have more than 50gal of fuel more than what your stock fuel tanks can carry - fines get steep if pulled over and your caught!

The possabilityof a fuel spill(and clean up) is why I don't haul an extra tank unless I NEED TO.

Jericho

hum, 55 gallon drums cargo strapped , best bet is a purpose built. transfer tank, they are very common here for moving fuel to remote locations for skidders and dozers, they come equipped with transfer nozzles and are built to industry standards. if this is a bug out /emergency, no real government thought use , no one is going to ask you anything period , its every well planned man and woman for them selfs,

Captaincarrier

Let me guess the enforcement officer was nice enough to put it in writing for you.
We were involved in a traffic accident last summer with one of our trucks and enclosed trailer. The trailer was hit in the side and turned on its side. A portable generator mounted to the tongue of the trailer leaked maybe a quart of gas on the payment. Tow truck driver gets nervous and calls the fire department. Fire department get concern and calls the FDOT. FDOT sends their agent. He finds two 15 gallon plastic containers, one with 7 gallons of diesel fuel and a second one with 5 gallons of gasoline. Both containers closed and secured in the trailer. We were charged with a third degree felony because the containers were not DOT approved. BECAUSE the containers were greater than 6 gallons in this case!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is why I asked about distance driving in post #4.

If you want extra fuel "just in case" put it in an IBC. When you need it, load it, and put the cargo cover on for stealth.

Its my understanding that you are not legally allowed to have more than 50gal of fuel more than what your stock fuel tanks can carry - fines get steep if pulled over and your caught!

The possabilityof a fuel spill(and clean up) is why I don't haul an extra tank unless I NEED TO.
110 gallons max in aux fuel without the placards displayed on all four sides of the vehicle per DOT.

rustystud

If you really want that much extra capacity then get a M105 trailer and mount the tank in the bed using bolts to the frame. Make sure the tank is DOT approved like Farms use to transport fuel to the field tractors. We have a Granger supply out here that sells these tanks. Kinda pricey for that large of tank but it is doable . Then buy one of those fuel transfer pumps and nozzle. You'll then be able to refuel your deuce and any other diesel vehicle with you.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The simple comment of "in the event of " is why you want more fuel on board. Its s multifuel. In the event of shortage it can burn nearly any combustible material. So you don't have to pick and choose what goes in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

rustystud

The simple comment of "in the event of " is why you want more fuel on board. Its s multifuel. In the event of shortage it can burn nearly any combustible material. So you don't have to pick and choose what goes in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
That is true, but in the event the power goes out then all gas stations will technically be out of fuel. So no diesel or gas. You could try and siphon fuel from other vehicles but if the area is a "hot zone" you need to get out of Dodge fast. Having all the fuel you need to get somewhere safe is not a bad idea.