• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce auxillary fuel tank

Boatcarpenter

For an upcoming road trip I wanted to minimize fuel costs so I mounted an extra Deuce fuel tank with pump in the pass. side front of the Deuce bed. Pics show transfering junk yard gas into the tank with a 12 volt pump with two filters. I pumped 5 containers plus 5 qts. of oil into the tank which gives me 20 Gal. of mix. I will then top the tank with 30 Gals. of diesel for the 50 gals. of mix. I will start of with the main tank also filled with the same mix so I will have 100 gals. on board.
I didn't have time to wire up an in cab switch yet so I can transfer on the fly so I have to stop to transfer. I use a slave cable plug pigtailed into two bendix connectors. I put a bendix connector on the wire from the fuel pump ( I found one gimp).so I just have to plug it in and it transfers. I have a fuel line from the aux. tank hooked up to the main tank through a hole that just had a plug in it. Also have a filter in that line . I only had a non-vented fuel tank cap so I have it vented outside with a piece of fuel line from the regular vent outlet.
I carry the necessary electrical hookup stuff in the "Burn Box" mounted on the pass. step. The burn box holder is a Decontamination Kit bracket and it hinges down out of the way so you can get at the battery box. I also have a few other items in there that one might need handy.
The burn box was given to me by the Marines that I helped with Toys for Tots.
BC

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Free gas is good.

Since I have some extra deuce tanks handy I may mount one in place of the spare tire and wire it up using the in tank pump as a transfer pump.

There is more than one way to skin a cat...there just isn't anyway to make him like it.

avengeusa

Free gas is good.

Since I have some extra deuce tanks handy I may mount one in place of the spare tire and wire it up using the in tank pump as a transfer pump.

There is more than one way to skin a cat...there just isn't anyway to make him like it.
that is exactly what i have been planning, i just have to find a local tank on the cheap..... not so easy, but i love the idea of having 100 gallons of fuel available

eyesofthunder

When I was in I always wanted to move the spare and put a second 55 gal tank there, but hard to convince my section chief and motor pool sgt that I wanted to mod out my truck....

Cool mod!

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two fuel tanks

Two fuel tanks would be handy if you want to use vegetable oil for fuel like I now do in my Dodge 2500 Cummins. The Cummin's heaters do a good enough job here in Florida so starting is not a big problem. The deuce multifuel engine uses a flame thrower to heat up the engine and it doesn't work with vegetable oil so a separate tank of diesel is needed to get her started and shut down.

This rig should save about a $1 per gallon or more if you can get veggie oil for nothing.

Good luck.

scooter01922

Looking fantastic. When you showed me that hookup for your intank pump last week i was blown away. One of those perfect marriages of just the right parts to pull it off without extra BS or hassle. Myself i plan of a couple spare jerry cans of fuel and to start with a full tank, should get me there and back on my slop mix.

Boatcarpenter

If all goes well I'll be seeing you JK. And you also scooter?? When are you guys heading up to Mikes'? Let's hook up and get Beaubeau also and slow the right lane on the Maine Turnpike to a crawl:-D.
JK, what exit off the Pike is the Park and Ride that I met you at last time we went up?
BC
Whoops, I didn't read the Maine Rally thread before I posted here!

Last edited:

Capt.Marion

Free gas is good.

What you describe sounds very similar to the two-tank system of the Gama Goat. It might pay to study how the Goat's system works, and pull a page out of CONDEC's book when designing a two-tank deuce system.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 'burn box' is nothing more than a tall ammo can. The one I have is marked on the side:
"8 cartridge 60mm illuminating" " M83A3 w/fuze time M65A1", but I got it a long, long time ago.

beaubeau

BC, I have an Aux. tank in my Deuce. I strapped a 60 Gal Tank from a Semi and just ran a line through the bed, removed the Plug on the tank and screwed the line in there. I just use a Manual shut off in the bed. When tank gets cokse to E, I just open the valve and Watch your fuel gauge gomUP as you drive. When it's olmost full, shut the valve. 60 Gal. bought Cheap in N.H. is handy on the Hi way. See you next Week End.Phil

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I carry my 100 gallon transfer tank to events and such and fill it with black gold before I leave. I bought a total of 30 gallons of fuel on the road going to the GA rally last year. That was a 1600 mile trek!

Boatcarpenter

OK Armada, I know that when your wheels start turning the results are usually pretty fine.
I understand that the Contamination Kit holders are somewhat hard to find but I happened across this one. You have to remove the "burn box" and then release the back of the holder with a couple of dzus (sp?) fasteners and then it will fold down out of the way.
Be sure to post up what you devise:-D.
BC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks