• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Axle Conversion and Other (semi) Intelligent Questions

devilman96

I am new to the forum but a vet to turning wrenches and military toys...

I have talked myself into buying a Deuce which I proably need like a hole in the head but I figure you only live once right? I like the looks of the "bobbed" or single axle conversion and have spent a good bit of time searching and reading on the subject but have a numerous amount of technical questions regarding the swap and other mods...

I have seen / read the following...

Single Axle Swap...

Use 5 ton springs on the rear, shorten the bed... (If so what other 5 ton or other parts do you need?)

Use a Deuce front spring and shackle set... (Again, other parts? 5 Ton seems to be a better building foundation to me?!?!?)

Use a 1.5 ton trailer for the bed and the springs, shackles, etc for the mounting... (Doesn't seem heavy enough to me, anyone done this?... I would rather shorten the bed!)

Have springs made, build shackles, etc... (Seems expensive if the above solutions are viable)

Most importantly... Whom has done this and may I bug the snot out of you by PM'ing you and questioning your methodology??? :eek:)

After all is said and done is there a noticeable difference in stopping, turning, fuel usage, speed, performance, etc?

Any downfalls?

Front Lockout Hubs... Its a no brainier on "why" its an advantage... But?!?!

Buy lockers and install them... (Whom has the better mouse trap?)

Do it yourself by modifying and swapping parts in and out ... (Any good tutorials / procedures out there?)

Also a invitation to Florida owners... I have a pretty good pile of toys set up for machining, welding and fabrication along with all of the knuckle busting equipment one could want... If anyone is close enough and wants to do some trading, working, swapping, helping, advising, and or vice versa on your project I would be willing lend a hand and facilities for weekend projects.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done one or two and i'm only in the WPB area, work in broward. Until a few months back, worked in Deerfield. You have questions, we have answers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks