• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Blown Michelin Fun.

dittle

Don't know if you've done this but I would seriously look at all of the front end mounts to make sure that nothing broke based on your steer rim damage. Other posts on this site with similar off-roading adventures have found broken components even though the truck would drive away.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What tire options do you see out there? I've tried to find similar aggresive tires in my 11/20 size and there isn't crap for choices. I noticed that yours look larger so you may have an easier search. Also the only available that aren't a million dollars are used tires, so now we're back to what type of life have they have. Good luck!
It really depends on the rim. Since this truck is an A3, they need to look for a tire rated for the MPT style rim. There really isn't a lot of choises out there. Also, the tire these trucks use is the same height as an 1100, just wider, so it looks bigger. Yes some people put non-MPT style tires on those rims, but it looks goofy imho.

olewhiskey

Don't know if you've done this but I would seriously look at all of the front end mounts to make sure that nothing broke based on your steer rim damage. Other posts on this site with similar off-roading adventures have found broken components even though the truck would drive away.
I am replacing the front passenger spring, I will have two military truck mechanics, one was in during the M35A# phase and did work on them at the National Guard Armory.After everything is put back I plan on having the alignment,what there is,reset.

A

A/C Cages

We all see that you are ok thru the ordeal. But it makes me wonder how many people watching that massive green truck flying sideways at them was thinking or staining their shorts.

At least no one was hurt and these trucks have taken more abuse and rebuilt back to working order.

lonegunman

My truck had new steer tires, with 2008 date codes. They hold air perfectly and are not a problem. If you had to swap anything, I'd buy two new steers for sure. That being said, I bought myself a set of six new tires that had been in a proper tire warehouse, two are older but four are recent made.

Were you in the middle of a very exciting recovery when this happened? How long had you been driving and were you using the CTIS to maintain tire pressure?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had Conti, Michelin and Fulda MPT tires on various vehicles and none of them have failed like that.

I assume the tries have a speed rating that is higher than the A3 can achieve, and you guys are on top of maintaining the pressures, so it must be tire age then?

Rick

olewhiskey

About 48mph going downhill, we were watching the speed. Thetruck had been flatbedded from Redstone to central GA. I can only imagine what nearby cars thought, it would have eaten their lunch,:idea:. I am looking at the taller profile 385s and flipping the wheels.

Gunfreak25

Yikes! I have heard of more of the Michelins blowing than I have 20 year old NDT's. Scary stuff, makes me think twice about running the 395 XML's on mine. Maybe i'll just go with a set of 11.00 NDT's instead.....

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
with blowing a right steer tire doing 60, and putting a wrecker airborn, I know how you felt when your feet hit the ground, if you have not done it yet, replace all the spring mount to frame hardware, and check those mounts real goog

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
with blowing a right steer tire doing 60, and putting a wrecker airborn, I know how you felt when your feet hit the ground, if you have not done it yet, replace all the spring mount to frame hardware, and check those mounts real goog
Ron, were those radial or bias on your truck?

Needless to say, very glad you walked away from that one...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
bias, 04 new 1200x20 ndt, in this case I had H rated tires, because of the front end WEIGHT, I should have had Js there, I was so thrilled to find new 1200s, didn't think about the weight rating. not sure if that was the cause of the event or not, but DID NOT HELP, when I put my kand on the tires, thay were hot to the touch. WILL NOT put ndts on the front again, found some 22.5s, a heavy J rated that will go on before any trips. I can live with a wrecked wrecker, would be hard to do if someone got killed or badly hurt because I FAILED to check the weight rating. HAD the 819 to the first GA. rally on these tires, ran hard on them to/from as well as other places, no problem

Kohburn

Just out of curiosity, was the A3 sitting on flat CTIS tires when you picked it up?
that's usually the problem, a single dead flat can damage the sidewall leading to an eventual blowout. the failing CTIS system only makes it more likely by causing regular flats.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
that's usually the problem, a single dead flat can damage the sidewall leading to an eventual blowout. the failing CTIS system only makes it more likely by causing regular flats.
the way I understand it, the damage to these tires is on the INSIDE when sitting a long time flat, air them up, thay look OK

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yup- can't be seen easily if at all. going that flat can cause delamination internally
This is why SOME used tire dealers WILL NOT sell this tire used if thay are going on the front, not worth the liability

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar blowout on my A3 during the recovery from Sparta in January. Fortunately, it was on the front rear axle, passenger side. The tire also caught fire. It was hard to control the truck when it blew - I can't imagine what it would have been like if a front tire blew.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what are you guys doing for replacemnt tires? What is the deal with some saying 395s will work and others say it will not. What is a MPT wheel. Where is the date code located on the 14.50 A3 tires?

thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks