• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce bobbed w/ rear axle ?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
micky said:
I believe payload is tires and bearings. Could be wrong but I don't think so.
Not tires, axles maybe. Most single axle road trucks are rated for 20,000# on one rear axle. Tires are the same ( same size anyway) but the axle is a lot bigger. The stock 9.00X20s probably wouldn't hold that kind of weight but they do make 9.00X20s that will.

I don't think I like the long WB single axle either.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A single rear axle deuce would look a lot like my 77 GMC6000 with dumping deuce bed.
Sorry I don't have a better straight side shot.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any right now. I'll get some soon though.

goldneagle

If trailer capacity is based on the rating of the axles. Example: I had a backhoe trailer that had three 6000 LB axles and was rated 18,000 lbs GVW. Why would a truck be rated any different? It would seem if you removed one of 2 back axles you would significantly reduce the capacity in GVW of the truck...

Jake0147

because axle tubes and tires are typically the "weak link" in a trailer, and many modern trucks. They were spec'ed such that they are being used to their fullest at a full load, so you'll get your money's worth out of them. Deuce tires and axles are over-spec'ed for the truck that they're installed on. Look back a couple of posts at yeager1's picture. even with tandem axles you've still got a lot of unsupported frame there, you just can't "see" how unsupported it is with all the empty space under it filled up. The frame rails can only carry just so much. Every part, the axles, wheels, tires, lug nuts, springs, spring shackles, spring bolts, spring pin bolts, the frame rails, the bed mount bolts, the bed it's self, literally every load bearing part has a weight limit. It's up to the designers to determine how "matched" they are, or if there's overkill built in somewhere. For cross country travel, extra axles and tires is good for floatation, redundancy in the event of a flat, the walking suspension smooths out bumps, extending the life of the whole vehicle, reducing operator fatigue, etc. You will loose all of that benefit for sure.

goldneagle

All I was trying to say is that by removing an axle from the truck it will significantly reduce the weight capacity of the vehicle. I understand that there are other important factors such as frame size, spacing of the axles, weight limit of he tires, spring capacity and other factors that make up the weight capacity of the truck. I am sure a structural engineer could give a multi-page dissertation on the subject.

Jake0147

Yes, indeed it will take away some. The 10,000 pounds on-road capacity yields a GVW that is far less than the tire and axle ratings. So I suppose i am in my mind taking away from the redundancy first which would absorb the bulk of the loss, then taking some loose change from the on road capacity. All I am saying is that with 35,000 pounds worth of tires and axles, and a 23,000 pound GVW there's plenty of "extra" to spare.

goldneagle

What is the capacity of the frame? With one axle? Don't forget your unsupported span increases-so the weight capacity of the frame members are significantly changed!

spicergear

If you have the 900-20's they're usually around 4,000Lbs a piece capacity...so there's 16,000Lbs max weight capacity dual wheels, single axle. Tandem rating on the rear axles is published at 28,000Lbs. Minus one gives you 14,000Lbs...IF it's allowably that simple. Truck weight in two axle form would be in the 11,500Lb area. If there was 6,500Lbs on the nose and 5,000Lbs on the rear you would need to take that away from the AXLE capacity (14,000- 5,000) to give you 9,000Lbs would be the hypothetical max load. Of course this isn't considering single axle suspension design/limits would be another load capacity factor.

Jake0147

Where did my post go? Lost in cyberspace somewhere?

Anyway, it was probably longer than it needed to be anyhow. The tandem axle design only LOOKS like it offers better support. If you study it, or better yet find one of the many pics posted here with all the rear wheels removed, you'll see that the whole rear suspension assembly only attaches at a very short section of frame, right square between the tandems.

spicergear

Correct. If a set of springs and hangers were added it would take up a longer area of frame than the tandem mount. I don't think concerns for frame strength are really necessary. It's not just the frame that's doing support...there's a complete frame under these beds too. The frames are fine.

Blythewoodjoe

One thing you guys may not have covered is the fact that with the axle in the back spot, you will put a lot more weight on the front end when you load the truck, and that will effect how it drives a lot. It may over load the front end.

Mathias

I haven't posted here in quite a while, but have been interested in the idea of removing a rear axle from a Duece.

How much does one rear axle weigh? That weight would need to be subtracted from gross weight of the truck, and could be a small boost to the payload capability.

It looks like several people have already done this, are there any fuel milage or handling gains? I could picture 1 or 2 miles per gallon better on fuel consumtion and easier steering.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to stick with both my axles. The only advantage I can see with having one axle is that you don't have to buy as many tires ( you could just go with singles) and maybe a little better mileage. The disadvantages I see are-- Get stuck easier, less weight capacity, looks funny, and the time and money it will take to fab everything up. Did I mention it looks funny?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks