• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake fluid

l.l.lind

Does anyone know what percentage of deuce's that were sold thru Government Liquidation had DOT 5 brake fluid vs DOT 3? I'm in the early stages of replacing all 6 wheel cylinders and the master cylinder on one of my M35's because of brake failure, and tried to use a syringe to extract brake fluid from the master cylinder to test it, but the master cylinder was empty. The only clue I found was a drop of fluid on the bottom of the cap on the master cylinder. It was a greenish yellow fluid, almost iridescent. There wasn't enough to test by mixing in water.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you looking for wild guesses or the results of private study done on master cylinder contents from GL purchased trucks? I can tell you what you're gonna get............

The TMs call for DOT 5. If the motor pool was following the TMs, I would suspect you have DOT 5. There are exceptions to everything though.

Besides, you're replacing so much stuff that it will be easy to clean it all out and go with fresh DOT 5.

welldigger

Personally, and this is just my 2 cents, if your pretty much replacing the MC and all 6 wheel cylinders then I would use DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. No one has ever proven to me why I should use DOT 5 except in circumstances where DOT 5 is already present since mixing silicone and regular brake fluid causes very nasty pockets of gew in the brake system. But, since your starting fresh with all new clean parts then that won't be an issue. DOT 3&4 are way cheaper and easier to come by than DOT 5 and they don't cause water pooling like DOT 5. A quick flush every year or 2 with DOT 3 or 4 removes any moisture in the system.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
IF you use dot3, besure to blow out ALL the line before you fill with dot3, also don't forget to replace the 5 rubber hoses (2 to the rears, 1 to the front axle, 2 to the steering hubs)

When we REBUILT Swiss's restored m62, we used dot3, works fine, a lot better then $100 a gal.

welldigger

IF you use dot3, besure to blow out ALL the line before you fill with dot3, also don't forget to replace the 5 rubber hoses (2 to the rears, 1 to the front axle, 2 to the steering hubs)

When we REBUILT Swiss's restored m62, we used dot3, works fine, a lot better then $100 a gal.
Forgot to mention that. Thank you.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
a lot better then $100 a gal.
In all fairness, in the last 6 years, we've gone through about 20 gallons and have never paid more than $30 a gallon.

welldigger

In all fairness, in the last 6 years, we've gone through about 20 gallons and have never paid more than $30 a gallon.
Where are you finding DOT5 for $30 a gallon!? My local NAPA sells it for $35 a quart! They are the only place I can find it locally in any sort of bulk quantities.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always went with DOT 5. No offense to anyone but sticking with what was TM'ed makes me feel a bit more secure and I would easily spend $100.00 for some comfort versus wondering if I contaminated anything that may hinder my ability to stop a 13,000 pound truck. Remember, when the brakes go, THEY GO!!!!!!:shock: I also have an M543A2 that weighs a hefty 36,000 lbs with the same braking system. I just completed replacing everything...airpack, master, wheel cylinders etc. I used plenty of DOT 5 and was plenty content with the investment.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Where are you finding DOT5 for $30 a gallon!? My local NAPA sells it for $35 a quart! They are the only place I can find it locally in any sort of bulk quantities.
I have been buying it in 1 and 5 gallon quantities whenever I found it cheap, knowing I'd use it. Bought a couple gallons from SS friend twright at the MVPA National Convention last year. The trick is to buy it when you find it cheap, not when you need it. I bought 10 gallons off eBay in sealed 5 gallon buckets for $300 a couple years ago, etc.

If you buy it cheap and end up not using it, sell it to your buddies or donate it to an SS rally as a door prize!