• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce brake test

Chow717

My son and I took the deuce out for a spin to the local antique tractor pull over the weekend. Needless to say we almost had a new hood emblem for the truck. A few miles from the pull I noticed a little low rider honda speeding up a side street to the main road. I let up my right foot and hovered over the brake peddle. The driver was not even looking my way and sure enough, this little car did not even slow down and zipped out in front of me. By then I was already on the brakes hard enough to lock up the rears. I thought for sure I had him but I was being watched over for sure that day. I had to pull over to let the shakes and my anger subside. Got to the pull okay after that but during the warm up and pre-check before the drive home I noticed a little problem from the back axle. Looks like I have a little work to do before the next cruise.

Attachments

Snarky

I just caught a wheel cylinder leak on my deuce today too, during predrive inspection. It's nice to catch that stuff before you have a spiritual moment on the road.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my air horns

yea...if there was a legal way of letting people know there stupid it would be fun...
That's what the air horns are for. The deuce and 5-ton air horn is much nicer than the wimpy horns on modern vehicles. Much easier to find, too, than most of them on the steering wheel.

jimm1009

oil leak

Don't assume that that is brake fluid.
I thought the same after a similar incident and it was gear oil instead.
I took the hub off, cleaned and repacked the bearings, and reinstalled the hub and wheels with a new outer seal.
They seem to be sensitive on some trucks.
I went through three (not on the same hub) even after they were replaced a second time around.
There may be some new ones that are bad but I digress.
Jim

AceHigh

Don't assume that that is brake fluid.
I thought the same after a similar incident and it was gear oil instead.
I took the hub off, cleaned and repacked the bearings, and reinstalled the hub and wheels with a new outer seal.
They seem to be sensitive on some trucks.
I went through three (not on the same hub) even after they were replaced a second time around.
There may be some new ones that are bad but I digress.
Jim
Me too! It looked like brake fluid, till I pulled the drum. No problem, I have a spare wheel cylinder now.

Chow717

He got a good blast from the horn after I was sure he wasn't going under me. I'll definitely find out next weekend what is leaking when I pull everything off to check it out. I have already warned the better half that I need a day in the garage and not to plan anything needing my involvement. I guess I will have a spare wheel cylinder if it turns out to be gear oil instead of brake fluid. Thanks for the tip.

tm america

i had an idiot lady on her cell phone do that to me she ran a stop light cut me off i had em locked up and ended up using the sidewalk to keep from going over top of her .then as she continued to give me the not nice finger til we got to the next light .she was paying so much attention to me she stopped back far enough for my truck to fit in front of her so i made it fit.i hit the shoulder locked up[ the brakes slide it in sideways blocking her from moving long enough to ask her so nicely to put down the phone so her family doesnt end up having to pick out caskets.i think she learned a lesson that day. i know i did.big trucks make little cars stop faster than little cars make big trucks stop:roll:

wb1895

This is not MV related but I believe that it relates........ As most of you know I am a LEO. Sever years ago I was called to a traffice crash on I-85 South in front of Bills Truck stop, Davidson County NC. When I arrived I saw a small Mitsubishi pick up wedged under the back of a semi trailer. For whatever reason traffic had stopped and the driver of the Mitsubishi was not paying attention while talking on his cell phone. We estimated his speed at 75 MPH, with minimal skid marks. The semi trailer was just the right height to make the mistubishi and the driver a fliptop. Needless to say the driver was decapitated along with the roof of his truck. During our investigation we noticed that the driver was still holding his cell phone. We looked up the last number he dialed and found that he was talking to his mother when the crash happened. I cant even imagine the pain that it caused this guys mom to hear he son die.

I highly recomend staying off you cell phone when driving or at a minimum using a hands free device like a Bluetooth.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programimg........

wiggall

In June when my wife,and I had the BEAUTIFUL BEAST at the WOUNDED WARROR SHOW, and SHINE. I was talking to a guy that had been in the National Guard. He said that he was pulling a low boy with a D8 on it with a 10 ton tractor. He said he came up to a GREEN LIGHT and a CORVETTE stuck his nose out in the way of on coming traffic. He said that he could not stop the truck with THAT BIG OF A LOAD ON IT, and HE COULD NOT GET MOVE OVER. He said all he could do is hock in the front wheels, and DRIVE OVER THE BUMP! He pulled over as soon as he could. And walked back to the nive CORVETTE WITH THE FLATTEN NOSE. The drive was sitting in the seat just staring down the road with a blank look on his face. When the state police showed up. He went to the CORVETTE, and said to the driver " YOU JUST WOULD NOT LISTEN TO US!" The cop told the truck drived that they had a lot of complates about this guy, but could never catch him doing it until NOW. He wrote the driver of the COREVETTE a ticket, took some photos, and sent the truck on its way!

dittle

Chow,

It should only take you about 10 minutes to get the truck apart and another 10 - 20 to put it back together. With practice (all six hubs) you can have it down to 15 minutes from start to finish per axel. If you have a wheel dolly just pull the axel out, remove the wheel bearing and take the duals off while still on the hub. This is a lot easier than pulling everything apart and then having to put it all back together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks