• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce brake trouble - need assistance

Hi,

I have a 70 deuce that seems to be having some brake trouble. I started it up last weekend to move it around the yard and the brake pedal went to the floor. I assumed this was a leaking wheel cylinder so I checked all 6 hubs and sure enough, the right front was wet. I bought some dot5 and topped off the master cylinder to try to get enough brakes to safely move to a more suitable area, but the pedal never seems to pump up. The air pack has plenty of pressure. I'm pretty sure I'll need to rebuild the right front wheel cylinder, but do you think I might need to rebuild the master cylinder as well? I've worked on brakes before but not on something like this. Any chance a member in the Loxahatchee area could lend a hand? I'd appreciate having someone on hand that's already been down this road and knows the little tricks to make the job easier.

I have the wheel off and the TM says I'll need to pull the whole hub off to get the job done... ugh this thing looks stupid heavy.

oh, does anyone know anyplace to get lager bottles of dot5... I can only find 11oz and they're like $8

Thanks in advance

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you bleeding the system in the correct order?

airpack first?

dmetalmiki

If it will not pump up, and the fluid level in the master cylinder is going down, you have major leak in that wet drum. Untill you have a proper seal you will not attain any true pressure. As you also will not if the brakes are way out of adjustment. Having said that Try undoing the outlet pipe on the master cylinder, and then pump the pedal. That may well show the interior of the cylinder is (now) mis-functioning. In any case now is a good time to service the brake sytem thoughrally. Good winter project. Posts and pictures please as you go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks