• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce brakes

jimwc12

my truck is a 73. i dont think the hydraulic system has ever been overhauled. i like to be ahead of the game, and deal with things before they are a problem. how long will the airpack and wheel cyl. usually hold up? the brakes work fine now, but if they should be replaced just because of age, i'll do it.
how many of you have found the airpac and wheel cyl. just need a hone and new kits, or do i just spend the money and just get new ones. i wonder some times if brake parts are fresh, or maybe 20 years old. i've rebuilt plenty of brakes in my day, so i'm not afraid to takcle airpac and wheel cy rebuilds myself.

thanks for all your help, jim

GHall

I can't speak for the airpac but I would deffinetely buy new wheel cylinders instead of rebuilding the old ones. Are the now wheel cylinders leaking? It never hurts to have spares, but you know what they say... If it ain't broke don't fix it. Good luck.

welldigger

It never hurts to have a few wheel cylinders on hand. But to check your master cylinder pull the rubber boot back and if its dry your good. If there's fluid it rebuild/replace time. Same goes for the wheel cylinders. Pull both rubber boots back and again if its dry your fine. If there's fluid replace. I don't bother rebuilding wheel cylinders because the bore diameter isn't always the same from one manufacturer to another. As for the air pak just be sure to squirt a little bit of air tool oil in there every few months.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I can't speak for the airpac but I would deffinetely buy new wheel cylinders instead of rebuilding the old ones. Are the now wheel cylinders leaking? It never hurts to have spares, but you know what they say... If it ain't broke don't fix it. Good luck.
This is such a bad statement, glad you have air brakes!
Jim, yes, I recommend going through the brake system. So many times all that is needed is a simple hone job! With these old trucks having a single circuit brake system, it is good to know you won't have a failure. I keep spare wheel cyls(at least one) on hand when going into a system that I have not been into before, but usually you only need the rebuild kits. Inspecting the bearings while your in there is a good idear too. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

197thhhc

The brakes are the single most important part of your truck. It should be gone through from top to bottom if the truck is new to you. Gimp is correct you will probably just need to hone and rebuild. But it should be done. I also always install a new brake light switch in the airpack. They have a tendancy to leak. These parts aren't very expensive and are readily available (PM me for a link to parts).

Just remember when you have to slow down 13,000 pounds quick, you want to know your brakes will work, not hope they will.

Ted

GHall

Not a statement, just an opinion.. I've got 4 vehicles pre 1970 some of which I have rebuilt the wheel cylinders on and some I have replaced and some are all original.. The ones I have replaced have outlasted rebuilds by far, (just my experience). I was a mechanic for 8 yrs and have owned a deuce but never got into the brakes before I sold it so my experience on those brakes is limited. I have found that brake lines are the most important part of the braking system because if you lose your fluid there are absolutely no brakes. The good thing is these trucks have 6 brakes so the system is semi redundant as long as you have fluid. Also your doing no more than 55 MPH for the most part not 110 MPH, these are not track cars. Safe distances really helps.. That's not to say that an inspection isn't key and a fully 100% working brake system isn't a must because they are.. Y'all can't tell me you haven't heard or used the sang "if it ain't broke don't fix it" before. I was more or less just kidding around..

No big deal, just trying to add my opinion as per OP's request.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

GHall,
They do have 6 brakes but remember, it's a single output on the older trucks to all 6 brakes. Fluid takes the path of least resistance so there is no redundancy in this braking system. If one component fails or leaks, you have no brakes. There is an emergency brake but it usually will not hold a truck on an incline, much less provide emergency braking if you needed it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wonder if there is a way to convert to dual circuit - so much safer.
I have done it on 2 axle, not more.
Yes, some of the newer trucks have a split braking system, but the different master cyl doesn't allow for the winch controls to mount on it like the A2 deuces need.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes, some of the newer trucks have a split braking system, but the different master cyl doesn't allow for the winch controls to mount on it like the A2 deuces need.
The master cylinder/pedal mount assy. Has a provision cast in for the shift linkage.

Shift linkage is the same, except the lever bolts directly to the mounting boss, no intermediary bracket.

I posted pics of this somewhere.

jimwc12

thanks for the input folk's, it's good to hear. i restore cars for a living, and we have had a lot of trouble with "new" brake parts that were usually made in china. i don't want those. i am looking for vendors that have good fresh brake parts, not chinese knock off stuff or 25 year old gov. surplus.have any of you converted an a2 to a 2 ciurcut brake system?

DieselBob

brake parts that were usually made in china.
Unfortunately that is the norm anymore. I did all the seals, wheel cylinders and front boots about 18 months ago and the front boots are starting to split already. They are “Newstar” stuff so I learned a lesson there.

welldigger

Unfortunately that is the norm anymore. I did all the seals, wheel cylinders and front boots about 18 months ago and the front boots are starting to split already. They are “Newstar” stuff so I learned a lesson there.
Keep in mind new star just buys other manufacturer's products and sticks their name on it. They often find USA made parts. The problem with the deuce is since the military retired these trucks the market for the parts shrunk. Meaning a lot of U.S. manufacturers quit making these parts. Luckily the civi market is big enough someone took up the slack and continued making parts. Unfortunately this usually means made in china/Korea for a lot of parts.

G-Force

I bought my truck from GL and it has all new wheel cylinders. So far I've gone through 2 rear wheels just as a PM measure and guess what. I took both wheel cylinders apart....yes...brand new wheel cylinder and all parts are new...no rust.....but the rubber seals have "Made in China" on them. So just because you're buying surplus don't think you're getting parts made in USA.
And as for the most important part on your truck I feel you're all missing the point. The most important part on our trucks is the nut behind the wheel.....if its not properly adjusted it can cause all kinds of trouble.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks