• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce bumper illegal in CT

ke5eua

I just talked to my buddy. He is not sure of any law that would make the black out light switch illegal , only that you must have working brake lights. Conn gen stat 14-96
In the end, all that matters is how the leo interprets it, and the judge.

All my life I was told there is only one way to skin a cat, I guess they never tried nair.

skinnyR1

He did not tell me exactly what he did but I suspect he asked too many questions. Just get a temp, go to an emissions for a vin check and register it antique. End of story. That of course limits it as far as uses but I doubt most people are using for it anything more than a toy. If you plan on haul stuff or towing a commercial use trailer then that is a game changer.
That is why I never did antique on my M1008 even though it qualifies.
I have to send in an exemption form every year(?) saying I only use it for personal use but I still have to have Combination plates which are expensive. Just no DOT # or 1 million dollar commercial insurance policy. I have to do this with my F600 as well.
I have antique as well. The dmv told me I cant haul anything, but I could never find any verbage in the dmv ct law sections that said this as well. Do you happen to know where the info exists?

ke5eua

He did not tell me exactly what he did but I suspect he asked too many questions. Just get a temp, go to an emissions for a vin check and register it antique. End of story. That of course limits it as far as uses but I doubt most people are using for it anything more than a toy. If you plan on haul stuff or towing a commercial use trailer then that is a game changer.
That is why I never did antique on my M1008 even though it qualifies.
I have to send in an exemption form every year(?) saying I only use it for personal use but I still have to have Combination plates which are expensive. Just no DOT # or 1 million dollar commercial insurance policy. I have to do this with my F600 as well.
Crap 1 million, dot doesn't require you to hold that much. I had progressive try to tell me that for the 818 I would have to have 750k, I laughed and told her to have a nice day.

Don't forget ifta and icc

Since I don't haul over 26k anymore I turned in my dot. Louisiana grabs you by the ankles on commercial, 250k starts out at 11k a year. Hot shot drivers can't make a decent living when all your profits have to go to insurance.

Glad you got it figured out though.

acesneights1

Ifta and ICC is for interstate. If you don't have apportioned plates you can just do a Ct fuel tax sticker.

ke5eua

Ifta and ICC is for interstate. If you don't have apportioned plates you can just do a Ct fuel tax sticker.
I was interstate.

Forgot about ucr. Although this past winter I was stuck on a road of ice in the state where you pay the ucr. Needless to say I was not happy about paying a road tax and being stuck on a road because they couldn't ice it properly.

We packed every truck stop and a walmart parking lot. Leo's were not amused.

Best New Years ever.

Iski

I am registering as historic or antique. I have gone to an emissions station and was told that the law in CT changed in July of 2013. Military vehicles now have to go to either Wethersfield or Hamden DMV for a VIN check. The CT DMV site also states the same. I agree that these locations will look to make sure everything is in compliance.
I figured that someone else must have done this since July of 2013. I'm still learning the ropes.
Thanks
Iski

Vandrel

Good thing all vehicles, foreign imported and domestic are FMVSS exempt after 25 years and EPA exempt after 21 years :)

It's been my experience that state employees are not well versed in the code of federal regulation.

acesneights1

I am registering as historic or antique. I have gone to an emissions station and was told that the law in CT changed in July of 2013. Military vehicles now have to go to either Wethersfield or Hamden DMV for a VIN check. The CT DMV site also states the same. I agree that these locations will look to make sure everything is in compliance.
I figured that someone else must have done this since July of 2013. I'm still learning the ropes.
Thanks
Iski
Was it titled or did you just have an sf97 ?.

acesneights1

The real argument here is that the Deuce is a collectible historic vehichle and by forcing you to alter it you are destroying the value of it. Of course winning that argument with those scumbags in People's Republic of Konnecticut is another thing. God I can't wait to move to New Hampshire. Ihate Ct so much I can no longer find the words.

skinnyR1

The inspectors at the Wethersfield CT dmv lane are simply flexing their muscles. I had it out with the guy when I was there, and subsequently called his boss as well. Dead ends everywhere.

You are there for a VIN inspection, and nothing else. There is no inspection laws prior to Registration for antique vehicles in CT! They have no right to do any other inspection, or deny you the vin check on the grounds of other federal standards. But they do. If you read the VIN check documents, it has nothing to do with any other type of inspection.

Further, there is nothing written as to what the bumper has to be! I asked the guy if it would be ok if I went to home depot and zip tied 2x4's to the bumper to appease them. He had no answer.

Really, the vehicle does not need to even be complete or whole, as it is only a VIN check! You can trailer in frames for a vin check, and they would do it! But of course, since they have a hair across their butts for these military trucks, they deny you.

Now, if they wanted to wait outside the dmv and give you a ticket as you drove away, that they can do. But that isn't what we are talking about here.

But there is no arguing with them. Try another emissions station until they do the check. I left that dmv and drove 1/2 a mile to an emissions station on the silas deane for my vin check. Done and done. And again, this was 6 months ago.

acesneights1

The inspectors at the Wethersfield CT dmv lane are simply flexing their muscles. I had it out with the guy when I was there, and subsequently called his boss as well. Dead ends everywhere.

You are there for a VIN inspection, and nothing else. There is no inspection laws prior to Registration for antique vehicles in CT! They have no right to do any other inspection, or deny you the vin check on the grounds of other federal standards. But they do. If you read the VIN check documents, it has nothing to do with any other type of inspection.

Further, there is nothing written as to what the bumper has to be! I asked the guy if it would be ok if I went to home depot and zip tied 2x4's to the bumper to appease them. He had no answer.

Really, the vehicle does not need to even be complete or whole, as it is only a VIN check! You can trailer in frames for a vin check, and they would do it! But of course, since they have a hair across their butts for these military trucks, they deny you.

Now, if they wanted to wait outside the dmv and give you a ticket as you drove away, that they can do. But that isn't what we are talking about here.

But there is no arguing with them. Try another emissions station until they do the check. I left that dmv and drove 1/2 a mile to an emissions station on the silas deane for my vin check. Done and done. And again, this was 6 months ago.
/\ This.
By modifying it you are destroy it's antique value. My M1008 was judged last at a show yesterday because of non oem mods I did. No biggie as it wasn't even entered and somehow they judged it anyway but my point it they can't mak you modify a collectible if it destroys the value and Deuces are now antique collectibles.
Who was the DMV cop ? Rodrigues ? You should have seen the load crap he get me. Even threatend to arrest me because the vin sticker on my trailer was worn. I took it to Willimatic. No problem although I don't think they do them there anymore.

o1951

Consideration should be given to safety of innocent people behind the truck.
I do not think anyone ever wants to have the thought- if I had an under ride bumper, maybe I would not be scraping her head off the bottom of my truck.
Living in the most densely populated state in the nation, I have seen many accidents where someone hits a vehicle and pushes it into truck in front. Case in point - Friday -Tracy Morgan on NJ Turnpike.

That is why I try to avoid being directly behind trucks & trailers, although, in that case, being in front was just as deadly.

When possible, we should have an easily removable under ride bumper. Obviously, it must be removed for off roading and shows. If it is going to be used, it has to be easy to put on and take off.

acesneights1

Consideration should be given to safety of innocent people behind the truck.
I do not think anyone ever wants to have the thought- if I had an under ride bumper, maybe I would not be scraping her head off the bottom of my truck.
Living in the most densely populated state in the nation, I have seen many accidents where someone hits a vehicle and pushes it into truck in front. Case in point - Friday -Tracy Morgan on NJ Turnpike.

That is why I try to avoid being directly behind trucks & trailers, although, in that case, being in front was just as deadly.

When possible, we should have an easily removable under ride bumper. Obviously, it must be removed for off roading and shows. If it is going to be used, it has to be easy to put on and take off.
How often are Deuces on the highway. It s very unlikely. Every Oil Truck I have ever seen is just as high if no higher and the best part is the pipe from the tank to meter is under there so not only would a car go under ,it would break off the 2 inch supply pipe and fuel oil would empty all over the car that hit you so when the DOT addresses that, then they can come talk to me. Not to mention the DOT bar(that is what they are called) they put n box trailers and trucks is a joke anyway. Just a few scraps of angle iron that might stop Smart car.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I no longer have a M35 but how high is it to the bottom of the bumpers?
The TM shows 37 and 3/8 inches from the ground to bottom of frame , I would guess this is with 9.00 x 20 tires. The federal standard for rear crash bars is 24 inches.

zout

And you all wonder why we went through getting the LAW changed in Georgia that they are EXEPMT unless you use them for COMMERCIAL operations and or have change the OEM configurations of the chassis and vehicle.

Lots of lingo thrown around and for most you need to consult an attorney - anyone else here is not going to be able to protect you in a court of law.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks