• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Buy - Govt Auction vs. Ebay - Tell Me Your Experience or Opinion - Pro and Con

NRG

I bought mine off of an individual on Ebay. I paid for it through paypal and a creditcard. That way if the truck isn't exactly what was advertised when you take it home, then paypal will work with you on the reimbursement and if that doesn't work you can always deal with your credit card company and 99% of the time take care of it for you. That way if the truck is a giant pile of crap, then its no money out of your pocket and the credit card company declines the money or goes after the owner after the money has gone through.

Last edited:

sandcobra164

I'll just weigh this in as well. Most of the trucks sold on Ebay are listed about a week after the EUC has cleared from GL and the recovery has been completed. Take for example myself. I just recovered my truck yesterday. I paid $1045 for the truck, put some batteries in it, (Hawkers but if I were flipping it, I could have only spent $200 for cheaper batteries), $60 in diesel and aired the tires up. I could probably list it for $4000 right now and sell it and the new owner would probably be happy. In all honesty, I don't feel morally correct profiting $2800 for the small amount I have in the truck. Of course, not all people feel this way and people "flip" these trucks for profit all the time. They'll even say "completely rebuilt by the government" when in most cases, these trucks were at the end of their service life in the 80's and the GOV really stopped doing complete rebuilds and instead started doing IROAN's (Inspect, Repair Only As Needed) and put some fresh CARC on them. My truck was repainted in Aug 96 but the motor and other drivetrain were left as they were due to low utilization. There are some reputable dealers on Ebay but they don't let their trucks go for cheap!!!

americanmayhem

i have bought several truck on gl and a couple off ebay i have had to work on all of them if your not familar with these truck or mechanic work your best bet is to buy one locally test drive it and check out everything take a diesel mechanic with you

Kloakndagr

I bought mine via eBay, the seller ended the auction early. I drove to inspect the vehicle, offered more that the current highest bidder was offering, he saw $$$ signs and we struck a deal. The deal initially included delivery for a dollar a mile, again he saw $$$. The delivery fell through, his buddy was mad cuz he wanted to buy the truck for 2x what I got it for. Basically a 1970 M35a2, non whistler, with winch and military built enclosed bed for....$2k. I think I made out pretty well, still less than scrap. Yes I drove it over 400 miles home with zero issues. Score...yes I did.

turnkey

Buy smart and get a SS member or someone with knowledge on this stuff...Can save you big time, on pre work and extra bucks for the beast....It is worth it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks