• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Catastrophic Engine Failure

Russ

Wow, I was just thinking if you just pressure washed off all that oil it would look fine so it should start right up. :-D

I had a similar scare with my Pinz, It seemed to have locked up the engine after a very rough, water logged night trail ride. It died in a lake. No it wasn't hydro-locked, not that deep and I have a snorkel, I also checked by pulling spark plugs. Drug it out with my buddy's mog and starter wouldn't turn it over. He tried to pull start it with lockers on and in 4 wheel drive. All 4 wheels dragged nice ruts. Engine was very unhappy. I got it back home, put a breaker bar on it the next day and it started turning over. Oil was clean and good. After a quick check over I started it right up. No idea to this day what was wrong but over 3 years later the truck is running strong, good compression, and idles almost as good as if it had fuel injection. :twisted:

Hopefully all you're facing is a blown head gasket or something relatively easy and inexpensive but diesels are beyond me. I own a poor man's diesel (Pinz Joke), just give me air fuel and spark. :-D

EulaVFD#620

We Had 2 deuces till this little fiasco, but now we are down to 1, and now it has decided to eat batteries......ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH.

you can look at all of our equipment at Eula Volunteer Fire Department if ya want to, just 1 pic of each, but it will give you an Idea of the mechanical nightmares I am running into. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, but a nut is a nut, and a bolt its a bolt, and give me the internet, and I can find out anything about these trucks that might be helpful to keep them running.

unfortunately I don't have any pics of our fires, but the year is young, and well the drought looks like it's gonna be a long one so hold on to your hat.

hopefully ya'll see a break from the fires, I am looking forward to one......just don't know how far forward i have to look.

620 out

SEAFIRE

Batteries problems are a PITA in a deuce firetruck trying to run 12V lightbars, sirens, and radios off of a 24V system.

We went to Optima gel cells with the UTL plastic adapters so that the smaller optima's will mount correctly in the deuce battery box, the optima's are a big improvement over regular batteries.

Right now we are looking into getting a 24V to 12V converter, it won't run all the 12V stuff, but will be a big help.

EulaVFD#620

I was thinking of running a seperate 12 volt system using the pump motor to charge the extra battery, and use the pump motor as the primary power source, I will let you know how that turns out.....just gotta get the chief to buy the batteries and the wire, and find a place to mount the stuff, as you know a fire deuce is already crammed full of fire crap not much room for extra stuff.

620 Out

wsucougarx

Does the LD465-1 engines have a higher failure rate compared to a LDT465-1D? I still see LD465-1A coming out of GL. Is there a reason why these motors were not upgraded to a turbo version?

EulaVFD#620

There is only a 4 hp difference between the 2 engines, I don't know if the LD-465 has A higher failure rate than the LDT-465 models. I do know that the primairy job of the turbo was not to boost horsepower, but to get a better burn out of the fuel. I assume (and I know assumption is the mother of all F&^% ups) the failure rate on both engines would be similar.

620 Out

Jones

The bad ones are the LDS427s. Don't even waste your time with one of them.

We've found that the 465s are pretty bullet-proof as long as their needs are met-- regular maint., fresh air, clean fuel and clean oil.

For the most part, the -A, -B, -C, and -Ds just have little design improvements or clean air packages; although the ones out of five-tons do seem to be a little healthier. (Might just be my imagination).

EulaVFD#620

The bad ones are the LDS427s. Don't even waste your time with one of them.

We've found that the 465s are pretty bullet-proof as long as their needs are met-- regular maint., fresh air, clean fuel and clean oil.

For the most part, the -A, -B, -C, and -Ds just have little design improvements or clean air packages; although the ones out of five-tons do seem to be a little healthier. (Might just be my imagination).

I thought the ldt465's were all the same, weather they were in a 5 ton or a deuce..... but hey I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time....I was married once!!!

I was thinking of running a seperate 12 volt system using the pump motor to charge the extra battery, and use the pump motor as the primary power source, I will let you know how that turns out.....just gotta get the chief to buy the batteries and the wire, and find a place to mount the stuff, as you know a fire deuce is already crammed full of fire crap not much room for extra stuff.

620 Out
a neighboring dept uses a separate 12 volt system.
alt, battery and such.
works very well for them.
they run all of the 12 volt stuff off this system.

mlwats1@hotmail.com

if it has a oil leak it has oil to leak out if it is not leaking it is dry and needs more oil so it can leak, add oil clean it up and slow the leak down a bit. "all aircraft leak it is the speed of the leak that matters most."

EulaVFD#620

a neighboring dept uses a separate 12 volt system.
alt, battery and such.
works very well for them.
they run all of the 12 volt stuff off this system.
I put the separate 12Vot system on yesterday, we'll see how it works. I am using the pump motor as the charging system for this system, as the 12 volt equipment is usually only running when the pump is running or about to be run. I will keep ya'll informed as to what happens

620 Out

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one rubber oil line hose for all Multifuel owners to keep a watch on. It is on the left front of the engine running from the engine block to the underside of the front drive housing of the injection pump. You can see it by looking over the top of the front housing of the pump toward the block. These can get hard with age and fail as we found out on one of our trucks. When it goes, it will dump a lot of oil in a short time. It is good PM to replace it if it looks aged and hard.
Regards Marti

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one rubber oil line hose for all Multifuel owners to keep a watch on. It is on the left front of the engine running from the engine block to the underside of the front drive housing of the injection pump. You can see it by looking over the top of the front housing of the pump toward the block. These can get hard with age and fail as we found out on one of our trucks. When it goes, it will dump a lot of oil in a short time. It is good PM to replace it if it looks aged and hard.
Regards Marti
Saturn carries them, NSN 4720-00-879-1676. $6.50....

SEAFIRE

EulaVFD#620
Got your PM, will shoot you an email this weekend.

Our M35A2 W/W did not come with a turbo. it had the LD-465 in it. We recently added a "D" turbo to it, and adjusted the fuel pump timing for a turbo engine per the manual we have.

It runs a lot better now, smoke cut way back, faster acceleration, etc.
Primary reason we added the turbo was that we had been getting some complaints about the smoke from citizens.........

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Primary reason we added the turbo was that we had been getting some complaints about the smoke from citizens.........

Are you kidding???? I'd tell them the smoke from their house going up in flames is alot worse.....

SEAFIRE

Are you kidding???? I'd tell them the smoke from their house going up in flames is alot worse.....

Well.... Some of the complaints were made to the county officials who supply our fuel, insurance, and our main budget. Our County Commissioner offered to pay a mechanic to install the turbo for us, but we did it ourselves as none of the local mechanics know squat about these trucks.
We had all the parts, we were just slacking about getting it done.....

If it was a personal deuce, I'd have let it smoke :twisted:.
The smoke clouds we used to make with the W/W were incredible, especially after we re-routed the exhaust to between the rear duals early M35A1 style.
Once our smoke got called in as a fire :roll:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son and I call complaints like this the result of the "pussyfication" of America that seems to be happening in so many places.
Bjorn: Thanks for the info about Saturn and the oil hose.
Regards Marti

EulaVFD#620

Well.... Some of the complaints were made to the county officials who supply our fuel, insurance, and our main budget. Our County Commissioner offered to pay a mechanic to install the turbo for us, but we did it ourselves as none of the local mechanics know squat about these trucks.
We had all the parts, we were just slacking about getting it done.....

If it was a personal deuce, I'd have let it smoke :twisted:.
The smoke clouds we used to make with the W/W were incredible, especially after we re-routed the exhaust to between the rear duals early M35A1 style.
Once our smoke got called in as a fire :roll:

That's just funny right there, having your smoke called in as a fire. But I do understand if the county is providing some/all of your fuel for you, you can't ignore the benifits of having that expense paid.

maybe if i can find a free c or d turbo I will install it on that other deuce, oh and BTW, I found where the oil was coming from. Evidently the seal on the bottom of the forward oil filter can got weak and just let loose, turns out I only ran it 8 quarts low, which will shut this motor down, so I am getting new oil filters, and will do an oil change, get the radiator pulled and fixed, and we should be back on the road.

620 Out