• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce checkover

man2112

Hey all,
I am going to go look at a deuce here in a couple weeks. I have been reading over many of the threads here on the forum, and i think that i have compiled a list of what to look for and what to bring for a recovery. Attached is the list that i have compiled. Do any of y'all see anything that i should add? Is there anything really critical to look for that i do not have on the list?

Also, we have a 3500 dodge dualie and a 24 foot 5th wheel gooseneck and a 12,500 lb winch on it that we plan on taking with us to pick it up. The deuce that we are going to look at runs, so we don't anticipate having to use the winch at all, but we have it plus a block and tackle just in case, however, do any of y'all see a problem with that set up?

thank you! And again, the list is attached if you want to look at it.

Attachments

bjsmith

i would check all suspension an steering componets from any damages not as much of a concern till you drive it since your towing home but if buying from individual could help with negotiating price along with transfer case if its a sprag jack up one front tire with engine off put in 1st try to turn tire should only turn one direction not the other then do same in reverse turns of the one i just got has bad forward sprag

man2112

Ahh, alright. How can you tell whether it has a spray type or not? Is it just by year of manufacture? The deuce we are looking at is a 1971 am general

bjsmith

They all have shifter on the floor for high/low but to engage front axle the air operated one will have a switch on dash with a light to let you know it engaged the sprag has no switch when rear wheels slip it automatically engages front axle most people don't like them

mcmullag

switch may not be labeled but it is unique looking. Mounted at bottom of dash, center area of cab. In the first pic, it is to the left of the transmission shifter. On it, it may show the words, 'IN' and 'Out'. The tow rig and trailer set-up you mention sounds real good for carrying a deuce around.
Best of luck to ya.....

Attachments

man2112

Thanks for all the responses thus far! The one that i am looking at is a 1971 AM General m35a2, w/w. The guy says that everything runs, but we will see when we get up there. I might need to get new tires for it, as the seller says that the tires have some flat spots from sitting for a while. I'm not sure what else it has, if it does have anything else. I will see when i go look at it. The guy is asking 2900, but is not firm on the price. Attached are pictures. What do y'all think?

Attachments

man2112

I think the only thing that i worry about is that it has over 100k miles on it...However, i don't think that that should be an issue with MVs? Or is it?

davey8943

I think the only thing that i worry about is that it has over 100k miles on it...
:shock:

Really? Are you sure that someone didn't misplace the decimal point?

Standard Deuce odometers only have 6 digits (5 for 10s of thousands of miles, and a white digit for tenths of a mile). Maybe someone assumed it had "rolled over"?

The majority of the Deuces I have seen have less than 50K miles on them...

Dave

man2112

:shock:

Really? Are you sure that someone didn't misplace the decimal point?

Standard Deuce odometers only have 6 digits (5 for 10s of thousands of miles, and a white digit for tenths of a mile). Maybe someone assumed it had "rolled over"?

The majority of the Deuces I have seen have less than 50K miles on them...

Dave
that sounds more likely! Either he assumed it rolled over, or maybe he thinks the 10th of a mile wheel is in 1 mile increments...