• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce cook shack

Got to thinking lately and started to think about that BBQ mobile idea I had about 6 months back and put on the back burner as a car comes first ,dang 4x4 trucks just got to be 3 grand for a decent set of wheels, but anyway I started to figure on making one out of a deuce as it would be safer than a pickup and I need to think on it a little more maybe actually draw something up so any ideas would probably help the creative process.

Similar idea to what I'm thinking except I was thinking 2 smokers one a small hog sized and the other for ribs and such also a grill, a fryer, a sink for washing your hands and stuff, a ice chest, a prep area, and somehow build an elevator type thing to get the food down easily and have a roof to keep rain off. I'm talking almost like a full kitchen on the back of a deuce of course if I can somehow fund this before college that would be an awesome tailgating truck

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to be mighty hard to fit all that in a 7.5 x 12 foot area . You will also need fresh and grat water tanks for the sink . You would be further ahead to get a MKT trailer ( many threads on these using the search feature at the top ).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started to figure on making one out of a deuce as it would be safer than a pickup
How so?

The heat from the smoker may make the gas tank explode and a fuel cell in the cab ain't exactly the best idea I've ever had gas fumes don't really smell too good and can kill you so I've just decided it would be easier with a deuce less safety concerns like that

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe a trailer is a much better idea.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I love,love, love the military 2.5 ton trucks, all the way from the CCKW to the M44 series. A lot. Best truck evah.

However, I also accept their limitations and what they're good for and not good for.

They're slow as heck. Slow to get to speed, slow cruising speed.
They're stiff and bouncy.
They're hot in the summer.
They get bad fuel economy.
They go through tires fast. Especially when used on paved streets.

So all that being said, they're a terrible vehicle to use as a commercial venture like this. I was going to type all this up and post it in the A3.bbq truck thread but I got lazy. Maybe I'll just copy and this.

I used to own a pickup as a daily driver, sold it and bought a Civic to save money (I drive a lot). I figured I'd just use the deuce whenever I needed a truck (home depot runs, etc.).

It's turned out to be kind of a pain in the you know where.

Whenever I want to take it, I have to pre-flight it and make sure it's safe. Then, it's hot as ****. If it's far away, it takes twice as long. Whenever you get to the destination, wait 5 minutes for the turbo to spool down.

And after all that, the only benefit is maybe some PR or advertising gains for the business because the truck is unique. That'll wear off quickly and loooooong before the truck becomes more of an annoyance.

If I were going to do what you're thinking, I'd have a 3/4 ton Diesel truck or a Diesel dually pulling a BBQ trailer. Absolutely the only way to fly.

I love,love, love the military 2.5 ton trucks, all the way from the CCKW to the M44 series. A lot. Best truck evah.

However, I also accept their limitations and what they're good for and not good for.

They're slow as heck. Slow to get to speed, slow cruising speed.
They're stiff and bouncy.
They're hot in the summer.
They get bad fuel economy.
They go through tires fast. Especially when used on paved streets.

So all that being said, they're a terrible vehicle to use as a commercial venture like this. I was going to type all this up and post it in the A3.bbq truck thread but I got lazy. Maybe I'll just copy and this.

I used to own a pickup as a daily driver, sold it and bought a Civic to save money (I drive a lot). I figured I'd just use the deuce whenever I needed a truck (home depot runs, etc.).

It's turned out to be kind of a pain in the you know where.

Whenever I want to take it, I have to pre-flight it and make sure it's safe. Then, it's hot as ****. If it's far away, it takes twice as long. Whenever you get to the destination, wait 5 minutes for the turbo to spool down.

And after all that, the only benefit is maybe some PR or advertising gains for the business because the truck is unique. That'll wear off quickly and loooooong before the truck becomes more of an annoyance.

If I were going to do what you're thinking, I'd have a 3/4 ton Diesel truck or a Diesel dually pulling a BBQ trailer. Absolutely the only way to fly.
Not gunna be a commercial venture at all just thought it'd be cool and is one of those ideas that I will cling too and a startup procedure shouldn't bother me I grew up around old cat dozers with pony motors so it takes like 10 minutes to start the old Gals up at least but this is more of a thing for myself than anything else it combines two of my favorite things cooking and old trucks. Plus I would do other things like maybe a cummins swap or something. This is in the figuring stage so the idea ain't even close to done

w3azel

Totally do able, the back bed is just a big flat room open to possibilities. Take the spare tire out and put a small generator there. Their is plenty of room between the frame rails under the bed to put a waste water tank. Put a fresh water tank under your sink. Cant imagine you'll use much water, just up the pressure like boats do and you can get away with only a few gallons. Mount the side slats so they don't fold down. and even put a board behind them to give yourself a flat surface on the inside. For the cover just do a canvas cover but put longer uprights in so you can actually walk around and just keep the sides rolled up. They will still reach rolled down it just won't look quite right, not a big deal. For the smoke stacks you can run chimneys up through the canvas with a gasket/insulator around them or just have quick attach ones that go out and then up. As far as getting up and down. Look at some of the guys stairs for their deuce campers. All of this will require some skill in fabricating but I don't see why you can't do it. Plus paint that sucker the team colors and you'll be fighting to keep the crowds away. Maybe even mount a big screen TV and some outdoor speakers on the side of the deuce that can be unplugged and stored for safe keeping.

This is kinda my idea for the configuration but I did decide a whole hog is not something I would do often enough to warent wasting as much space as i would for a smoker of that size i also would widen the bed to 8'4" and run everything off of 2 100 lb propane tanks in 2 insulated spots for the tanks i probably would use he overhang to make more storage and sorry for my horrible art I have shakey hands

Attachments

Last edited:

machinist75

Didn't the military modify some for kitchen use. I've seen some with pipes welded into the sides of the beds facing outwards like the would accept piping for platforms like in the Canadian deuce pic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks