• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Crane Truck Thread Hi-jack Cont'd

spicergear

nf6x, yeah...the price on the large commercial size knucklebooms can really, really throw you for a loop. $40,000 just for a crane? WHEW... ...but, they can reach waaaaaaaaay out there. And again, yes...they take up a lot of frame space too.

Gimp, mine has all the circuits you mentioned as well. I'm thinking about using them for a log grapple so I can grab and rotate them. I already have the roller base pulled and since it already has a motor spool valve for oil motor that would power the roller base, I plan on using that to power the spool I put on it. I've had kicking around (saving for special occasion...you know) a rotator which is an oil motor driving a worm sealed worm gear for about 10 years now. I think if I can mount a spool to that, I may be set! Fingers crossed.

I have a pretty good idea on the base design and the next big hurdle is going to be outriggers...which I'm going to have to make up. I'll prolly round up the rams with mounts then build the rest of the telescoping part. ...these are the prices you pay for the initial 'deal' you get.

I think mounting one in/on the bed would put it way too high unless its a pretty small unit. The Palfinger in my earlier pics is a P80 or P8080 basically. Max capacity is right around 8,000lbs.

Bjorn, I'll prolly make a jib for it to get one more extension.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
The PK19000M I'm looking at on eBay is at $13,500. I haven't tried contacting the seller to see if he'll come down on the price, because I don't have the cash anyway... it'll take a couple months to get the M923 off my credit card before I even begin accumulating cash again! ;)

I haven't found detailed specifications yet for that crane, as used on the PLS rear ends. The eBay auction lists the reach as 18'4", which seems awfully short for my desired application. My wrecker has an 18' boom and can put its hook 18' over the ground, and that's just barely enough for loading/unloading my S250 shelter from my HMMWV. I'd like more reach and height if possible. If I could lift a moderately-loaded S280-sized shelter and place it on the bed of the truck that the crane is on, that would be wonderful. This model of crane has hexagonal boom tube sections, and there appears to be a cross-brace in the end of the tube within the shackle mount, so I don't know what it'd take to be able to manually install extensions for more reach. If anybody has experience doing this sort of stuff with this model of crane or a similar model, I'd appreciate any clues that you can share.

Regarding mounting the crane in-bed, I'm not sure I'd want the bed's rails and wood strips in the stack-up that the crane clamps to, anyway. So, I figure that I'd want to cut out a section of the bed floor and frame to clamp the crane directly to the truck frame rails, and so something to the bed sides for access to the crane when in use. Maybe some combination of swinging down the dropsides plus modifying the fixed 2' section at the front of the bed to swing open? This would eliminate the problem of the crane being a lot higher, but it'd introduce a whole new set of problems.

spicergear

I think I'm going to try to shorten a dropside bed, but leave the side full length for a sort of hidden or more complete box look. How much could that shelter weigh? You'll find all these cranes are under rated.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Hmm, that approach to modifying the bed sounds interesting.

I'm not sure what my shelter weighs, since the dataplates indicate its weight back when it was packed full of radios, I think. I'd guess that if I could swing around 3,000 pounds or more at a radius of 10 feet, then I'd be in a happy place. The shelter, plus its rigging, plus the truck bed height, will add up to quite a bit of total lift height.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
In your case the knuckleboom with it's arched mast may be better as it will offer a little more clearance than a straight telescoping crane mast.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Lifting the 12' shelter off the bed might not work with a straight boom, unless the boom and sling were both really long, and the boom could tilt up well past 45 degrees.

spicergear

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Lifting the 12' shelter off the bed might not work with a straight boom, unless the boom and sling were both really long, and the boom could tilt up well past 45 degrees.
If you look back on this thread at my post #3 and the third picture you'll see my M977 crane stood up about as far as you really want it. It is not telescoped out the whole way. See the pin locations for the rams how they're about over top of each other? That's about as far as you want to take these. In fact, I should've had a little less stick out in that case given the mast design.

The one pic I posted I'm sure nobody knows what's going on it (because its a way crappy picture) in where the truck is kind of parked in front of a tree. I extended the boom the whole way out and brought it down (these cranes area actually rated with the mast horizontal!) then ratchet strapped a ladder to it extending past the top of it some I could rescue that pear tree from a mass of vines that was trying to take it over. Like I've said, don't do what I do and I'm overdue to get hurt. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

grendel

Sorry to Necro a thread, but your PM box is full. Do you have a build thread on the M939 series with the crane? I am putting a HEMMT crane on my bobber project that used to be an M932A2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks