• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Crew Cab and stuff...

TheSHAD0W

I was planning to relocate my stack to behind the cab, along with the spare and a couple of toolboxes. I was also planning on adding a diesel muffler to the exhaust.

hot rod deuce

Holly cow man thats sweet I thought some one beat me to it!!!!

but what you guys might be all missing is that if you dont add some space between the two cabs it will be very tight, much tighter than you would think, just go look at you will see that the back of the seat is tight tothe back of the cab, when slid back(thats where mis always is anyway. Then sit there with your feet behind the front of the door the same amount as the seat is behind the back door. thats why i added another vent for the back guy, ill get some new picks up tonight

rmgill

Opie said:
JWC,

Could someone identify the colors/pattern used on JWC's cab for me? My WV Army National Guard has it too. (Well, mostly. There are some large red oxide primer patches as well - or perhaps 'fall camouflage'?)

If I'm not mistaken that's an example of MERDC camo. That varied the earth tone to match local conditions. Looks like he has a different pattern bed too.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/afv/merdc.html

rmgill

Looking at that, I have to wonder why the US Army never made some like that as Artillery Tractors? Space in back for ammo, space up front in the cab for the section of cannon cockers.

rmgill

hot rod deuce said:
but what you guys might be all missing is that if you dont add some space between the two cabs it will be very tight, much tighter than you would think, just go look at you will see that the back of the seat is tight tothe back of the cab, when slid back(thats where mis always is anyway. Then sit there with your feet behind the front of the door the same amount as the seat is behind the back door. thats why i added another vent for the back guy, ill get some new picks up tonight
Yeah, foot space is kind of key. The guys in back won't have space to put feet under the seats in front.

I'd like to find some engineering drawings of the cab in plan form and elevation form. That way I can make some better engineering schemes.

Patiently waiting on the pics.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opie,

I have been trying to research the paint on my truck also. I believe that rmgill is correct - it is a variation of the MERDC scheme. I have also heard it refered to as "four color camo". (in contrast, modern nato/carc scheme is only three colors) There is a good article in MVM Dec '02.

Here is another explanation of merdc:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_camo_tc5-200.php
I have the pdf file of TB 43-0147 "Color, Marking, and Camouflage Patterns (December 1975)". I would be happy to share or add to the Tech Section of Steel Soldiers if someone wants.

According to this, my cab is: "Winter, US & Europe, verdant" which is comprised of: Forest Green, Field Drab, Sand, and Black. In the attached pic below, you can see all four colors.

Yes, rmgill is also correct that my bed is different. It was replaced by previous owner. It appears to be: "Summer, US & Europe, verdant" comprised of: Forest Green, Light Green, Sand, and Black.

Attachments

hot rod deuce

Wow man you sare are up on the camo thing, some of them seemd to look better than others and i never knew why...little did i know. How bout a snow camo? Did we ever have trucks in siberia or alaska whats up there?

Any one wana go on a road trip and find out?

Picks are here------> www.hrd6x6.com

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing to remember (it has been discussed many times on this forum in the past) - Inconsistencies in pattern and color are very common because many of the camo paint jobs were done at the unit level.

Also, the sun, rain, and adverse weather can drastically change the paint appearance.

Jeff

Opie

Thanks for the information! I've been researching taking the truck back to the 24087 OD to make things look a little less militant, and haven't paged through the more recent manual.

rmgill

Junkyard Wars Crusher said:
One more thing to remember (it has been discussed many times on this forum in the past) - Inconsistencies in pattern and color are very common because many of the camo paint jobs were done at the unit level.
The MERDOC pattern was to be applied at the unit level on a seasonal basis with the local earth color being changed to match the local colors and then the greens changed as the seasons changed. The black was there to create false shadows.

The system is more maintenance intensive, but clearly is better than a one size fits all camo scheme, certainly during the height of the cold war.

chevycrew

Hot rod deuce, That 6x6 that comes up when you click on the links to your photos, Is that on 16.00r20's??? I Am hoping to build on similar here soon and was wondering what your issues with tire fitment was. Thanks for any Info. I already have the tires xzl's and xl's not sure on tire choice yet, and i also need ideas for wheels.

Steve

hot rod deuce

that one's on 16.00's. I owuld go with the XZL's they are tubles or tube type and have a 15,000 lb cap the XL are not tubles and only have around 10,000 lb cap. I found this out the hard way after i bought a set of XL's

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks