• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce dies uphill

demonhunter77

So, I was driving my deuce bobber home from getting a full bumper put on the back and she stalls out going up a steep hill to my place. This is the second time a hill has stalled her out. Suggestions on what to look for? I'm not very diesel inclined yet.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How much fuel was in the tank? Was it diesel? Stock tires? m35a2 deuce? Gear? Speed? How old are the filters? Runs like a scalded dog on flat ground?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must be one heavy bumper...

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try adding at least another 10 gal of diesel to tank. If that solves problem, replace rubber hose on in tank fuel pump.

demonhunter77

Gimpyrobb,

Full tank if road diesel. 35 degree incline. 3rd gear. Runs great on flat ground. M35a2. As it stalled I believe I was at 5 mph. Fuel filter should be about 4.5 years old with 600 miles on them.

demonhunter77

I would say I saw 5 to 7 mph on the speedo as she started to stall. She was going more lIke 20 before the slope change. In hind sight, yes, I was still in high range. Steepest on road hill ive ever seen. Lmbo. Goes from 20 to about 35 degrees half way up the hill where she slowed and sputtered.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Above first gear I don't like to let the RPM's drop below 1500, in the two higher gears I downshift between 1900 and 2000 to keep the air flowing through the exhaust (lower EGT's). YMMV.

demonhunter77

Above first gear I don't like to let the RPM's drop below 1500, in the two higher gears I downshift between 1900 and 2000 to keep the air flowing through the exhaust (lower EGT's). YMMV.
This is where I should've read up more on diesels. Sounds like it's my technique rather then mechanical issues then?

demonhunter77

That's what I'm thinking. I'd downshift sooner.
The operator's manual (-10 TM) covers this.
Talked with another deuce owner who has driven that hill. It is definitely my driving that was the problem. He has to downshift and up the rpm well before I tried. Now I know. Thanks guys for putting up with my silly question.

rustystud

Talked with another deuce owner who has driven that hill. It is definitely my driving that was the problem. He has to downshift and up the rpm well before I tried. Now I know. Thanks guys for putting up with my silly question.
No question is silly if you don't know the answer to it. Of course after you get the answer then we will laugh and make fun of you ! Just kidding ! Remember the TM's are your friend !

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Drop into low range well before getting to the hill, find a gear it will pull in that will allow you to hold around 15-1600 RPM (prob third) and let her pull all the way to the top. The engine does not have to be screaming for the truck to be pulling. That is why you have Low and High ranges.

My guess is that there is still some underlying problem since even if the engine stalls out due to lugging it should still not run out of fuel.

But I only been driving these things around 40 years so what do I know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks