• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce dies

Rezdeuce

It Starts fine and runs great the problem is after I take it for a drive then let the turbo cool down it just shuts off by its self. Then I have too let it sit for a bit then it will start up fine other wise it will be hard to start?

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color is the smoke out of the exhaust or is it normal, also you said runs fine but does the throttle have any slugish responce. also how long has it set before the problem started, and last time the filters and PMI (prevented maintenance inspection) were done on the old girl

Rezdeuce

The smoke is white to gray when I take off then it will turn black.

Not sure if it as done it before just got it on sat ? And I don't think it has had PMI or te filters done

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thats were i would start is with the fuel system then work my way to the main mechanical parts. I would first clean your tank and lines, then replace your filters. The next step is getting some sea foam and allow it to clean your injectors. because my thoughts are when you crank the truck up originally all the trash is settle in the lines, filters, or tank. When you start driving the fuel is passing through the system freely; however, as your driving your stirring up the trash and it clugs the injectors or lines. This would shut off the truck in the scenario that you are describing. You can also look at the trouble shooting TM to help isolate the issue.:grd:

Jesse6325

I think highfavor is right, I've had several different machines that would start and run great for a while until all the crud in the fuel systen got stirred up and plugged the fuel filters again and they'd starve for fuel and die.
After they sat long enough for said crud to settle out they'd start right up again.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget the pump in the fuel tank when you do your PM. Pull it out and clean the pickup screens with a good carb or brake cleaner. They usally have sludge built up on them.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, it is a pain to get it completely clean, but this is what i did. I drained the tank and took it off the mounts so it was seating on the ground. I then removed the bottom of drain bolt and took out the fuel pump. I then using a pressure washer, cleaned the tank by spraying out the first baffle by spraying inside the tank main fill hole in the tank and then working my way back to the pump hole and then flipped the tank upside down and sprayed out the drain hole. this will remove a large amount of trash. You then should put the drain plug back in and put at least 3 gallons no more then five gallons of denatured alcohol in the bottom of the tank (you can add sea foam for peace of mind is what i did) let it sit for a day and then flip the tank over for one more day. drain the tank and the tank should be clean. but you still need to clean and flush them the lines, replace all fuel filters. when you are finish you should more sea foam in the tank to run through the truck fuel system so it can clean the IP and Injectures.

Rezdeuce

Ok how do I clean the fuel lines I use sea foam? Would I just fill the tank up after cleaning it with sea foam and run it? And where do you get sea foam?

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No you should put a couple gallon of diesel and then just a little sea foam. the way you clean the fuel line is but using an air hose. you need to unbolt the line from the water separator (WS) and flush the air to and from the line to insure you got all the trash. Then you have to unbolt the pipe going from the WS to the IP and repeat processes

m816

I haven't used sea foam but I have found that xylen is a great cleaning agent for the crud in the fuel tank and fuel lines. Use a blow gun to run it through the lines and let it sit for a day in the tank itself before draining and using the power washer in the fuel tank. Just be sure to get all the water out of the fuel tank. I have never relined a diesel tank. just keeep them full.