• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Dirt hauling capacity in yards?

voltedge

I've searched the threads and see where people are posting about hauling gravel, dirt etc by the ton etc. Does anyone know what the capacity in yards of dirt that the deuce could haul? I know that the short side walls limit the amount, but I was thinking that it could be dumped in and mounded up in the center to increase the load. I am needing to pick up a load of manure and mushroom compost for our small organic farm operation. Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanks

mhassett

The operating manual shows the capacity with various different products.
Army TM 9-2320-361-10
Air Force 36A12-1B-1094-1
If you cannot find, PM me and I will scan for you.
Mhassett

voltedge

I've did the calculation to come up to the 5.33yds, but just wanting some real world experiences. As far as the TM, I didn't look there since I figured that the Military would not have used these trucks for hauling dirt since they have real dump trucks for that. Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yardage is 5.33. Truck capacity is 5,000# offroad and 10,000# highway. What does a yard of dirt in your area weigh? Wet or dry makes a huge difference too. Trust me, not all dirt weighs the same.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[h=4]How much does a cubic yard weigh?[/h]The weight of a cubic yard depends entirely on the type of material.

• Mulch: Weighs in at roughly up to 1,000 pounds per cubic yard, depending on the type and whether it’s wet or dry.
  • Soil: Weighs about 2,200 pounds per cubic yard, depending on the moisture content.
  • Sand, Gravel, Stone: Can tip the scales at upwards of 3,000 pounds per cubic yard.

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/buying-materials-by-the-cubic-yard-faq/

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Dirt" - i.e. top soil, organic layer with a bit of sand etc. - if not obviously wet, you should run out of room before you run out of carrying capacity. With 5 yards loaded, the Deuce looks visibly full, with a mound in the middle and halfway to 2/3 up the sides, and you will be at or around the 11 ton mark on the scales. An empty deuce weighs in at around 6 tons.
Last time I picked up river wash, the loader had a 5 yard bucket and approached my truck with that bucket heaping full. I am sure the loader driver had a laugh. Me, less so. I had to shovel quite a bit of that load off, in order to stay semi-legal. I find that, with 5 tons in the back, the Deuce is a heavy as I would want it to be and still slow it to a standstill.

Please do not forget securing your load if you go onto public roadways. At the minimum you will need to brush off loose material from the sides and tail gate and cover the load with a tarp or a net, securely strapped down. A friend of mine dropped a bit of gravel, courtesy of pot holes, and peppered a cruiser behind him. Did not go down so well.

voltedge

Looks like I'm going for 6 yards from what I'm getting told by the distributor. Considering all of the rain that we've been getting lately, I may have to back it down to 5 yards due to the moisture content. I really appreciate everyone that chimed in!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I'm going for 6 yards from what I'm getting told by the distributor. Considering all of the rain that we've been getting lately, I may have to back it down to 5 yards due to the moisture content. I really appreciate everyone that chimed in!
Just so you are prepared - take pictures! Otherwise you will get this: nopicsnopics