• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Doesn't Move Anymore

Bulldog1986

Fellow Deuce Fans,

Today while driving my Deuce (1971 Gen Prod Div) around town I hit a fairly large bump doing about 30 miles an hour. I know, not a good decision, but if I would have seen it coming I wouldn't have hit it.

That being said, after I hit the bump I pressed on the accelerator and it only revved. After realizing I wasn't going any faster, I pulled it off the road and climbed under. Having not seen anything in the road from where I pulled over, not heard any terrible sounds, and not seeing any fluids, I presumed I might've broken a U joint or something. But, the drivetrain was intact and tight. I can shift into first gear while the truck is running without depressing the clutch. It is hard to shift into second and third but fourth and fifth seem normal.

Never messed with a transmission before and need some help. Anyone have any idea what might have happened. Thanks in advance.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any bolts loose on the tranny, holding it to the engine? Any cracks in the tranny housing? Sounds like some of the gears inside the tranny got screwed up and out of alignment.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry nailed it. If the trans or xfer was damaged, there would be a puddle for sure.

LanceRobson

I'm glad you had such an easy fix. The shift lever has a fair amount of mass and a good sharp bump can cause it to drop out of high.

If you want to be sure the truck dosent have a problem, there's a few things you might want to check.

The transfer case shift rod has a spring loaded ball detent under the transfer case cover (where the air breather valve is) that engages with grooves in the shift rod to give a positive stop in high, neutral and low.

When the lever is up in high it should not rub on the seat. When it's in low it should not hit the floor support (under the tunnel and over the propeller shaft). If it's hitting the floor support, you'll feel it as a very solid "stop" when you push the lever down.

Check the feel of the transfer shift lever as it moves to and from each position. When checking this feel, it's handy to have another truck to compare to. If it feels positive, your in good shape. If it feels really spongy when it engages or needs very little pressure to pop it out of the detent (very light fingertip pressure) you might want to check the detent ball and spring under the cover on the top of the transfer and be sure that the spring is not broken.

If the shift lever rubs on the bottom of the bench seat, it should be adjusted. The free play in the lever linkage will usually allow the lever to hit the seat when it's pulled into high, and I don't mean that. I mean, if the lever is resting in the high position it should not rub on the seat. Interference with the seat may be keeping it from positively locking into high, which would increase the chance of a bump causing the lever to pop into neutral.

If you find seat interference, you could try to loosen all the bench seat mounting bolts and see if the seat can be pushed back out of the way enough to keep the lever from rubbing. The holes in the seat frame and the captive nuts under the floor give a fair amount of play.

If that doesn't work you need to adjust the shift lever linkage.

To adjust the linkage, pull the floor tunnel covers, pull the bolt or pin that holds the lever linkage to the shift rod and screw out the clevis until the lever clears the seat. Then shift to low and be sure the lever doesn't bind on the floor support over the propeller shaft.

Some trucks, particularly those with a retro-fitted air ahift transfer case, need a linkage adjustment.

Lance