• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Door latch

Must be an epidemic. My driver outside handle turned too far wouldn't allow me in. Removed the latch mechanism and found that the machined part was worn out probably like Stone Mill. Very carefully disassembled the latch mechanism, welded some material onto the machined part, ground it back into shape and reinstalled. Works great.

wiggall

Do you know if the parts will swap over. I don't have in front of me to look a right now but I'm thinking it would be upside down if swapped to the other side. What would you want for it shipped to elizabethtown, PA.
Shipping from Idaho, I will look at it tomorrow and see what it will tak to get apart!

StoneMill

Maybe I'll disassemble it and see if I can weld some metal in like Dave. Can't hurt. It's useless to me the way it is. Got a bungee cord holding the door shut now. Probably won't pass PA inspection that way.:roll:

196thprober

Copied page 11-10 and 11-11 in the 20 manual, it wouldn't print the picture here, but it's clearly shown there in the manual. .

TM 9-2320-361-20​
11-7. OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE, INSIDE DOOR HANDLE, AND CAB DOOR LOCK
REPLACEMENT​
This task covers:
a. Outside Door Handle Removal
b. Inside Door Handle Removal
c. Cab Door Lock Removal
d. Cab Door Lock Installation
e. Inside Door Handle Installation
f. Outside Door Handle Installation​
INITIAL SETUP:
APPLICABLE MODELS REFERENCES (TM)​
All TM 9-2320-361-10​
MATERIALS/PARTS​
TM 9-2320-361-20P
Six screw-assembled lockwashers​
EQUIPMENT CONDITION

Parking brake set (TM 9-2320-361-10).
Cab door inspection hole cover removed
(para. 11-2).​
a. Outside Door Handle Removal​
1. Remove two screws (1) from door handle (8) and door (4).
2. Rotate door handle (8) 1/4 turn counterclockwise and remove from cab door (4).​
b. Inside Door Handle Removal​
Remove screw (5), door handle (3), and washer (2) from cab door lock (7).​
c. Cab Door Lock Removal​
1. Remove six screw-assembled lockwashers (6) from cab door (4). Discard screw-assembled
lockwashers (6).
2. Remove cab door lock (7) through inspection hole in cab door (4).​
d. Cab Door Lock Installation​
1. Install cab door lock (7) through inspection hole in cab door (4).
2. Install cab door lock (7) on cab door (4) with six new screw-assembled lockwashers (6).​
e. Inside Door Handle Installation​
Install washer (2) and door handle (3) on cab door lock (7) with screw (5).​
I​
f. Outside Door Handle Installation

Install outside door handle (8) on cab door (4) with two screws (1).​
11-10​
TM 9-2320-361-20​
11-7. OUTSIDE DOOR HANDLE, INSIDE DOOR HANDLE, AND CAB DOOR LOCK
REPLACEMENT (Contd)​
FOLLOW-ON TASK: Install cab door inspection hole cover (para. 11-2).​
11-

Pinz25086

I had to replace both side when I bought the truck. Ordered NOS from TNJ Murry and it took them almost 60 days before they shipped them to me. Needless to say I was less than impressed with the service. After struggling with the passenger side for almost an hour, I figured how to get it inside the door. About 2/3 from the rear is an area that is just a little wider than all of the rest. If you slide it in this area it just pops right in. The drivers side took about 15 min. Kenny's advice about long sleeves is good advice. My arms looked like a cat attacked me.

FormerNewMVGuy

I had to replace both side when I bought the truck. Ordered NOS from TNJ Murry and it took them almost 60 days before they shipped them to me. Needless to say I was less than impressed with the service. After struggling with the passenger side for almost an hour, I figured how to get it inside the door. About 2/3 from the rear is an area that is just a little wider than all of the rest. If you slide it in this area it just pops right in. The drivers side took about 15 min. Kenny's advice about long sleeves is good advice. My arms looked like a cat attacked me.

I never had any problems with slow shipping from Murry, But i have heard stories from others.

wiggall

I to can attest to the arm attacked it:!:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith_J was out today to help with wrenching on a few things and he was able to pull my latch out to inspect it. Turns out the spring was broken right at the tang. He bent another 90 degree angle on the end that broke and presto chango I had a working door latch.

I have to add that not only did he do that but he fixed my seatbelt, installed my chain guards (that I've had for months and couldn't seem to get on) and diagnosed the problem with my M37 (we also went to look at a parts truck for the 37 just a few blocks from the homestead). All that for just $50 an hour (I'm sure you're keeping a tab, right Keith?).

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Took Jason9(a)snakeriver's suggestion from his thread.....

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/26398-source-door-latch-springs.html

...looks like this before welding. A hair spring for a car starter brush might have worked instead. I had an old Ford Ranger spring, seen next to the broken spring, but it would need a pad welded on latch. Perhaps a 70's vintage GM starter brush spring might be a decent substitute. I'll have to see how well it works after welding the 1/4x20 bolt(at threads).

Attachments

Hoefler

I recently fixed my drivers door latch. To get the mechanism out, try the following.
Window up
With screws out-push the handle end of mechanism through door and rotate down towards rear of door.
Once handle end has been rotated down-push the latch end through the door and pull the whole shooting match straight down.
To re-install-do the opposite.
Mine just need some hammer massaging to get the latch to push the end of the door latch pawl-there is a good thread with pictures showing how to fix.

F18hornetM

My passenger side door handle has to be pushed in to open (about 1/2"). Is this just adjustment?

mine was like that and found the square shaft wore....took apart and welded up, filed down good as new..also there is a catch in there that was wore, also welded that up and re-shaped, good to go...the latch itself will come apart to work on pieces if you bend the tabs up a little..just a thought good luck

Hoefler

There isnt adjustment. The door shaft is square on the end with a drilled and tapped hole. The handle is cast with a female square hole-you may have rounded male square shaft or cracked handle.