• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Driving Experience Compared to Civvy?

TacticalDoc

Better know how to drive well. Keep your fingers on the outside of the wheel. Start stopping far in advance. Much harder than driving a 5 ton that's 8000lbs heavier.

Corvette1974

Yes, that is me. A young lad of 18 years old, youth is wasted on the young. :driver:
Nice! I'm 19, 20 in May. I still have plenty of youth left haha I think I put it to good use.

The attention really is part of the fun, I took my truck to a touch a truck last year and had a blast. I had one little boy (probably 4yrs) who got their early, saw all the trucks, and made mom wait around till it was over to come see the "army truck" again. He had a grin about as big as mine when he started it up for me.

Can't wait till weather gets better so I can take it out again. Your right, it is a huge reward and pleasure to drive it slow and cool after all those miles in a small car and fast pace zipping around the city.
You definitely made that boys day with the "army truck"! I can remember when I was that age nothing got me more excited than big machinery, especially military hardware. I guess that hasn't changed :-D

Corvette1974

Better know how to drive well. Keep your fingers on the outside of the wheel. Start stopping far in advance. Much harder than driving a 5 ton that's 8000lbs heavier.
I hear you there. I already tend to do those things in the various vehicles I drive. I have to ask however, why do you say that about the 5 Tons? Is it because of the air brakes and PS? 8 series or 9 series 5 tons?

UPFINN

Nice! I'm 19, 20 in May. I still have plenty of youth left haha I think I put it to good use.
Thats funny. I turn 19 in May. Nice to see younger people in the MV hobby.

My dad and I picked up our deuce back in July. I have never drove anything that big but I learned quick. Got the truck for a future business vehicle. Needed something awesome that could haul a bunch of lumber.

It is actually pretty easy to shift. Just have to remember that you can't shift from 2nd to 1st or reverse while moving. 1st and reverse are not synchronized. When you get moving in first you almost come to a stop by the time you get in second, so what I do sometimes is go from Low 2nd to High 2nd.

I found the deuce is rough on paved roads and can be scary when it is rainy or icy with the ndts. It rides really nice on dirt roads and I wish they would just convert our pothole paved roads to dirt. Backing up is a pain with the cargo cover on the back, as the stock mirrors are tiny. When you can actually see out the back window, backing up is easy when in Low Reverse. When on the highway you tend to get a large backup of traffic behind you and have to pull over to let them pass. On curvy county roads I usually find myself going 10mph less than your average vehicles. In congested areas you have to really watch how much distance you need to downshift and brake.

The driving experience can also be described as: You feel like your in a big green rocket ship that smells and bounces like a schoolbus, your moving at high speeds (not really), oncoming traffic waves and thinks your awesome, passing traffic gives you the finger, idiots in micro cars try to cut you off, and your always anticipating potential situations ahead.

As for maintenance, you will do A LOT. However, the deuce has been the easiest vehicle I've ever worked on, except for the fact everything is heavy and rusted together. It is actually fun to work on (when it is not below 0). As for costs, the deuce needs constant cheap maintenance that can be done yourself in the driveway. Our civilian vehicles can go awhile before something goes wrong, but when something goes wrong it is expensive and needs to be sent to the shop. Overall, costs are equal.

RodUSMC1962

We were trained to downshift when slowing or stopping. We only used brakes for the final stop , as we were going so slow by then. My 1952 Studebaker deuce can go from second to first when moving by double clutching, have to be moving slow. Maybe the A-1`s or newer you can`t do that. :beer:

Corvette1974

Thats funny. I turn 19 in May. Nice to see younger people in the MV hobby.

My dad and I picked up our deuce back in July. I have never drove anything that big but I learned quick. Got the truck for a future business vehicle. Needed something awesome that could haul a bunch of lumber.

It is actually pretty easy to shift. Just have to remember that you can't shift from 2nd to 1st or reverse while moving. 1st and reverse are not synchronized. When you get moving in first you almost come to a stop by the time you get in second, so what I do sometimes is go from Low 2nd to High 2nd.

I found the deuce is rough on paved roads and can be scary when it is rainy or icy with the ndts. It rides really nice on dirt roads and I wish they would just convert our pothole paved roads to dirt. Backing up is a pain with the cargo cover on the back, as the stock mirrors are tiny. When you can actually see out the back window, backing up is easy when in Low Reverse. When on the highway you tend to get a large backup of traffic behind you and have to pull over to let them pass. On curvy county roads I usually find myself going 10mph less than your average vehicles. In congested areas you have to really watch how much distance you need to downshift and brake.

The driving experience can also be described as: You feel like your in a big green rocket ship that smells and bounces like a schoolbus, your moving at high speeds (not really), oncoming traffic waves and thinks your awesome, passing traffic gives you the finger, idiots in micro cars try to cut you off, and your always anticipating potential situations ahead.

As for maintenance, you will do A LOT. However, the deuce has been the easiest vehicle I've ever worked on, except for the fact everything is heavy and rusted together. It is actually fun to work on (when it is not below 0). As for costs, the deuce needs constant cheap maintenance that can be done yourself in the driveway. Our civilian vehicles can go awhile before something goes wrong, but when something goes wrong it is expensive and needs to be sent to the shop. Overall, costs are equal.
Our generation needs to keep the MV hobby alive! Thanks for all of the info. It sounds exactly like some of the vehicles I have driven - unsynchronized R and First, Zero visibility out back because of mirrors, and of course big + slow.

The NDT's are going to be interesting to get used to compared to a civilian tire. They seem to have a very specific set of strengths and weaknesses. After this winter, I agree with you, they might as well turn all roads into dirt roads because every single road is completely ruined now aua I call the potholes "car totalers"

To be honest, I'm sort of excited for the maintenance. It is all very "Big" things on a Deuce. I'm used to my Corvette, where everything is small and precise. Not to say an M35 doesn't have those things, but from my experience with my MEP-003a and M1028, the maintenance is *different* compared to the Corvette restoration work. I'm glad you say that though, that the costs are basically equal. It does seem like Deuce parts are reasonable in cost and availability.

Good luck with your future business, I'm sure the Deuce will serve you well [thumbzup]

I thought I read somewhere you are not supposed to downshift to slow to a stop in a deuce? Am I wrong?
I'm pretty sure the TMs say that...

We were trained to downshift when slowing or stopping. We only used brakes for the final stop , as we were going so slow by then. My 1952 Studebaker deuce can go from second to first when moving by double clutching, have to be moving slow. Maybe the A-1`s or newer you can`t do that. :beer:
...But what was done in the military was different! I can't see any reason why you cant downshift, just more wear on clutch and synchros. I'm sure that is why they didn't want you to, because replacing those parts is on them and more complex than brake shoes.

welldigger

They tell you not to downshift the deuce because you risk over revving the engine. Diesel engines do not have a throttle plate so they don't offer much braking effect when downshifting. That's why large diesel trucks often have exhaust brakes. Which the deuce lacks.
You should, however, maintain the correct gear for your speed in case you need to begin accelerating again.

Corvette1974

They tell you not to downshift the deuce because you risk over revving the engine. Diesel engines do not have a throttle plate so they don't offer much braking effect when downshifting. That's why large diesel trucks often have exhaust brakes. Which the deuce lacks.
You should, however, maintain the correct gear for your speed in case you need to begin accelerating again.
Good info. I'm pretty sure there is a plate on the dash instructing the operator when appropriate downshift points are if needed. Correct me if I'm wrong, I remember seeing that from all of the videos and pictures I've seen!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided a long time ago it's easier to change brake pads or shoes than a clutch disk. If I'm on a long grade I'll use the correct gear that let's me use minimal braking; but I generally don't down shift while stopping. If you need to down shift, just make sure to slow it down so you don't over rev it.

As you noted, there is a plate on the dash with the speeds for each gear.

Have fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks