• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Driving in the snow....

DieselBob

Hope to get a few pics up tomorrow of my deuce in the snow. we are getting a good snow tonight and have the deuce ready to roll in the am. I'm one of the strange ones that loves a good snow. :grin::grin:

saddamsnightmare

February 6th, 2010.

The Steel Soldiers members in the Washington, DC areas will have a chance to get some good publicity for us..... W.Va.'s Governor has declared a state of emergency, and the heavy FWD and 6X6's would be usefull in hauling medical and emergency responders to the hospitals and fire stations.... I wish I was back home as the Unimog S404.114 Swiss has chains for all four wheels and has an excelllent reputation as a deep snow truck. If I end up back there she will likely be the one to get a snowplow added to her equipment, as against the deuce which is prone to sticking without lots of weight in the rear end...

Good luck and stay safe...

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p

Biggles

How much weight should i put in the back of my deuce for traction in the snow? It's pretty well stock and I haven't had enough snow to justify even a 4x4 so far this year but it would be good to know what I should do if we do get more snow.

greenjeepster

How much weight should i put in the back of my deuce for traction in the snow? It's pretty well stock and I haven't had enough snow to justify even a 4x4 so far this year but it would be good to know what I should do if we do get more snow.
It will take a few thousand pounds before you will notice a difference.

Best thing to do is air the tires down to what the operators manual recommends for snow travel... I think it is 15 lbs.

rwbrown72

I have mine aired down to 30 PSI and it seems to do pretty well. Just remember that you have a lot of momentum. Drive slow and stop a lot earlier than usual. Other than that, it is a blast to drive. My neighbors don't like my deuce until I start pulling them out of the ditches. Even then, they still don't like that "Big Green Thing". Who knows what they think about the truck!!!!

Stan Leschert

The Steel Soldiers members in the Washington, DC areas will have a chance to get some good publicity for us..... W.Va.'s Governor has declared a state of emergency, and the heavy FWD and 6X6's would be usefull in hauling medical and emergency responders to the hospitals and fire stations....

Would you let us know if you have a chance to help out in this? Please get pics. Thanks in advance.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got stuck today backing out of my yard. I have about 2000 lbs in the back for traction but when you back into a 4' snowdrift, my back wheels were lifted off the ground from snow building up under the axles. We got hammered today with 30". Guess I will be off the hump by Aberdeen.

Attachments

Anybody for some crappy cell phone video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUrQ6UcLd4o&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xUwZZJlFi4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNdAibJFGOg&feature=player_embedded

There are more of these clips that I posted on Youtube if you need to see more.

No snow chains were used. I tried it in low range and high. She seemed to go better in high range with the fronts locked.

I had it around the block a bunch of times and a neighbor flagged me down. He asked me to drive down the alley behind his house because the city doesn't plow it. He said he could get out fine with his 4X4 but that there were some elderly folks that wouldn't be able to get out. I drove through to leave some big ruts. But, I still think they would have trouble because being so high off the ground I left a big mound down the middle.

Also, here is a before and after shot. Instead of shoveling out I just drove over the big snowpile about ten times. Flattened it right out.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks