• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Engine Problems

Hi Everybody,
New to the forum and hope somebody can give me some advice. Just picked up a 1967 Duece, and it seems to run fine, starts right up and drives. But when i drive it, the engine seems to lack some power between 3-4th and 4-5th, and what i mean is it seems to take a lot longer to get up to speed in this duece than others i have driven. Any advice would be appeciated.

SixBuy

Welcome aboard - Is this your first Post?
Have you done all the usual, like air filter, fuel filters (3), checked operating Temp., Verified turbo spinning, Verified in-tank fuel pump runs, no brakes dragging (incl. parking brake), etc. How does the exhaust look? And there's a zillion more... I'm sure others will chime in!

mendo069

engine trouble

i agree, check all the fundmentals... but start with the fuel filters, when i first got my truck it was slugish also... i changed the fuel filters, the old ones were nasty... anyways, man what a difference!!! i also changed the oil... thick old oil can slow things down also... good luck and welcome aboard.. mendo...

Thanks for the replies, and yes this is my first post. I volunteer for the air museum and just donated the truck to the museum. I want to get it running right, do some cosmetic work and use it in parades and for rides and other things. i have not checked the fuel filters yet, although i only was aware of 2 of them. the turbo is spining, and i can hear the fuel pump running. i checked the brakes they don't seem to be dragging and the parking brake is lax. exhaust looks good. thanks for the help guys. I'll look at the filters tomorrow, and change the oil. Is the weight still 15/40 in these trucks? And can the fuel filters be cleaned? Or buy new ones?

Also another question. Either the temp guage is in-op or this truck runs really cool. The temp does not seem to go over 135-155, which doesn't seem right. Any Advice?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hello and welcome! I will be in palm springs on Monday for some R&R. I can swing by and give you a hand and would actually like to check out the museum. I can tell you that my truck doesnt get to above 140 degrees without a load or a long highway drive, I think thats pretty normal. Send me a PM if your gonna be around and need a hand. I will be there from Sunday night through Wednesday (Jan 22-25)... Devin

PSAM,
Welcome aboard. Good to see another semi local member. Where is the museum in PS?
I would like to pay a visit as well.
For those So Cal guys that are interested there is a parade in our town (Thousand Oaks, Ca) the end of April - Beginning of May. I offered to run my Deuce in it and they are very interested as they will be hosting Veterens of Foreign Wars in the parade. May need some backup. More on that when I get more info.

h1crwchf

Welcome!

PalmSpringsAirMusuem.org said:
I'll look at the filters tomorrow, and change the oil. Is the weight still 15/40 in these trucks? And can the fuel filters be cleaned? Or buy new ones?
Welcome to the board!! In regards to oil I believe the lube order calls for 30 weight but I use 15-40 Rotella. I think the lube order is here in the technical manual section. Fuel filters need to be replaced. NAPA has all three. good luck!

Dave

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When driving up and down some hills it became obvious that the cooling system on the deuce is very efficient and keeps the operating temp way below the t-stat opening temp. On a long downhill drive, the temp would drop as much as 40 deg F.
My solution was to drive with the winter cover when the ambient dropped below about 70F. Finally I installed a piece of plywood with openings as shown in the image below. This keeps the temp at about 175-185 most of the time. Yes even when loaded and driving up a long mountain climb did the temp stay within reason using this plywood cover.
The deuce need a radiator shutter. This was covered in threads on the old forum and may be found with the search function.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks