• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce engine question

ICAT

I'm looking at an advertized 1963 M49 tanker truck. It says it is a multifuel turbo diesel. Were LDTs motors in M35 series that old?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
63 was one of the years that featured the LDS427. With that said, I think its the TM 9-2320-209-35 that has a complete section in the front for re powering these trucks with LDTs

stumps

What does the tag on the right side of your engine say? If it is an LDS427 (unlikely), it could be the original MF engine for your truck. The army and guard units very frequently swapped engines rather than fix them. Most deuces have had several engines over the course of their life.

... And, it was easier to upgrade a deuce to the A2 configuration than it was to keep parts on hand for the older obsolete engines, so they did.

OBTW, the engine tag should have a date on it.

-Chuck

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As Kenny pointed out, beginning in 1961 the M35A1 was powered by the LDS-427. However, it is worth pointing out that while the cargo trucks got the Multifuel then, that was not the case for all the truck models - there were concerns about axle loadings. That being said, I have no problem believing the truck in question currently has a LDT-465 in it.

A true rarity is a military truck with the factory-installed engine still in it.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks