• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce engine swap

buckshot

Hello everyone i am new to the site. I have recently purchased a 1952 m44 studabaker.the original engine was swapped out for a 460 ford.I have a first generation 12valve cummins engine i am wanting to replace it with. has anybody else done this swap.I need an adapter for mateing the engine and tranny.Any suggestions? Thanks

spicergear

Do you happen to have a Chevy adapter on it...like to a TH400? It's possible to go from Chevy to a 3052 direct drive or 3053 over drive deuce tranny with Chevy medium duty truck parts...IF you find the correct ones. You also probably want to source the overdrive transmission as your stock one, if it's an original, would be a non-overdrive 1:1 5th gear.

BUT...I found this out recently by accident...even if the tag on the tranny says it's a 3052, put it in 5th and count the rotation or see if the output turns faster than the input. I just did this a week ago and found that a 3052 I had at one point in time had the overdrive gear set installed. Probably from an older truck that was military repowered.

buckshot

I will check the transmission for the conversion. I think my best bet will be to use an adapter plate so that i can keep the original transmission. Is there anything else i should check for a conversion? Thanks

spicergear

I don't know Dodge like I know Chevrolet. If you decide to go with the medium duty parts you can do a search to find threads on Chevrolet engine swaps, or look in the M715 section and search me. I put a deuce tranny behind a 427 in an M715.

If you go another way...you'll have to wait for more people to chime in. Oh, maybe one other thing is if there's Dodge to SAE pattern. That would be another way for you to go...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you happen to have a Chevy adapter on it...like to a TH400? It's possible to go from Chevy to a 3052 direct drive or 3053 over drive deuce tranny with Chevy medium duty truck parts...IF you find the correct ones. You also probably want to source the overdrive transmission as your stock one, if it's an original, would be a non-overdrive 1:1 5th gear.

BUT...I found this out recently by accident...even if the tag on the tranny says it's a 3052, put it in 5th and count the rotation or see if the output turns faster than the input. I just did this a week ago and found that a 3052 I had at one point in time had the overdrive gear set installed. Probably from an older truck that was military repowered.
If it has a 460 ford motor it is not a chevy adapter.

buckshot

I have done a little more research on the 6bt(cummins 5.9). it seems that they came out with a #3 sae bell houseing. I am not sure if this is true with all of them. From what i have read an 3052 or 3053 spicer transmission will bolt right up. if this is true.what flywheel,clutch assembly would i use?

motomacguyver

I'm not sure about your particular question. However it seems like ALL med/heavy duty trucks are pieced together from other manufactures parts (Allison, Cat, Cummins, and Rockwell etc.) I know my Cat 3116 has sae #2 housing and the Trans mounts with sae #3 housing. The adapter is simple and must be commonly available. Hope this helps…..sounds like spicergear has a lot more experience in this.

spicergear

I have done a little more research on the 6bt(cummins 5.9). it seems that they came out with a #3 sae bell houseing. I am not sure if this is true with all of them. From what i have read an 3052 or 3053 spicer transmission will bolt right up. if this is true.what flywheel,clutch assembly would i use?
Cummins flywheel for a multitude of reasons. As far as clutch, you sort of have options. The standard diesel deuce truck uses a 13" flywheel. IF, by chance, you can't fit that size clutch/pressure plate onto the Cummins flywheel, the early deuce gas trucks used a 12" clutch/pressure plate combo that may work for you. The pressure plates were a little different as they didn't have the spring sections around the splined center hub (on the ones I've seen) and you may be able to round up a 12" disc that has the more typical looking center hub.

kennys@wi.rr.com

What flywheel is needed when swapping in a 6bt but still using the deuce tranny? There are so many out there to choose from. I'm just putting together that list of parts for if/when mine ever dies.

Josh

It would probably be easier to find a 2wd dodge NV4500 that would bolt right to the 5.9, then make have a custom shortshaft from the transmission to the transfercase.

camoyj7

I'm in the works on doing a 6bt cummins swap in my deuce. I have a sae3 flywheel housing that came on my motor. #3925223. I have been searching for the right flywheel number for some time now. I'm going to try the cummins tech line tomorrow and see if they can help. I found this info on another site. This is what I found that someone else did.

($300 for SAE #3 flywheel housing. #3933387
$350 for a single disk 13" 500ftlb clutch. Napa #MBI RC2077136X
$1000 for a new flywheel. I couldn't find a used one. Cummins #3935205
and about $30 for pilot bearing.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks