• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Engine years of manuf. by producer

Mark3395

Have searched but don't find a list of deuce engine manufacturers by year. Am expecially interested in when White started making them.

Does anybody have this info.

Checking google hasn't helped much.

mcmullag

That is an interesting question. I wonder if David Doyle, author and member studies this part of the duece puzzle. My '71 duece had a Continental but the truck had been depot overhauled in '85. My current '87 truck which is original (no rebuild) has a White in it.
That would be kinda cool to know the production runs by the three different manufacturers of the multifuel.

wsucougarx

seems most rebuilds I have seen from Tooele are Continentals. The "newest" batch of M44A2's all had the Hercules in them. All my '80's era trucks (original, not rebuilds) all have the Hercules MF in them. My '68 A2 (1990 Tooele Rebuild) has a rebuilt Continental.

Hercules

seems most rebuilds I have seen from Tooele are Continentals. The "newest" batch of M44A2's all had the Hercules in them. All my '80's era trucks (original, not rebuilds) all have the Hercules MF in them. My '68 A2 (1990 Tooele Rebuild) has a rebuilt Continental.
My M35A2,1972 vintage , ( "Cheechako" ) came from Fort Richardson, Alaska. It has a Hercules in it and the data plate has the date stamped Oct 1987. It has approximately 20,000 miles on the engine. Hope that info helps some wsucougarx. PS: The truck came down from Alaska in 2001 and was bought at a surplus State of Montana auction in Helena. I've got the copy of the SF-97.It was in surplus at Elemendorf AFB at Anchorage. elkhunter

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had only one deuce with an engine tag with build year that matched the truck. That is not to imply it has to be the original motor, just one from the same year as the truck. My 1974 has a White Engines Inc./Hercules Engine Division motor in it stamped in 1974 and no rebuild tags on the truck. It also had a complete set of the -10's and service/repair records going back to Oct.1977 with it.

Most all my deuce trucks of all years have had White engines in them dated 1987.

added pic

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think it's safe to say that looking at your 19XX truck and saying it has a 19XX engine probably has no bearing on what it came with or the time period(s) the three engine manufacturers of multifuels (Hercules, White & Continental) were building them due to the frequency of the military swapping engines.

Think about how motorpools work-one dead truck that the back caught fire on is sitting in the back, another truck kicks a rod, viola, burned truck gives up it's engine and the good truck is operable again.

clintogf and I have had enough of these things that I've come to the conclusion that every one of them is just a big Lego creation of parts soup-we've had trucks built in the Eighties that had Sixties engines in them (and yes, I know the difference between built and rebuilt) and everything in between.

I suspect the original poster's question would need to be directed at someone like Mr. Doyle.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So the number on the engine tag can be used to verify a numbers matching truck?. Where can I get this data?.
No-I do not think the military serial numbered the engines to the chassis' like the private sector does. Matching #s refers to the engine's serial # matching the vehicle's VIN. The information tag (data plate) on the passenger side of a multi only tells you who made it, when, which version it is, valve clearances, etc. No serial #.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto:
I love the LEGO analogy... just a bucket-o-parts thrown together, torn down, thrown back together, broke down, swapped with the kid next door's parts, reassembled again, stepped on by barefoot father <cussing>, vaccumed up by Mom, rebuilt into something bigger, faster, stronger (M35A3)... and so the story goes.

Attachments

sandcobra164

Mine has a NEW in 92 (not rebuilt) Hercules. From what I've read on here, it was one of the last 5,000 that the government was allowed to by due to the EPA working diligently to send the multifuel into the graveyard.

JasonS

So, was it Continental, White, then Hercules? I have what appears to be a Hercules manuf in the late 60s.

mcmullag

ok, beat me up, but over the 1965 to 1989 period of deuce random production, whom was specified to build the engines for these thangs and at what calendar areas? It seems like if there was a large production order at one or another time, maybe all three were called to arms; Hercules, Continental, White.
Mr. Doyle, please way in on this.

Mark3395

The purpose of the initial question was to allow insight as to the originality/age of the engine in a truck. Another is to help determine the general age of a truck in the absence of a data plate IF it seems to have a original engine.

RealCavDog

During the few times I was not in the field, and got to spend time in the huge motor pool areas at Ft. Hood, Texas, I personally witnessed and discussed with mechanics and drivers this very subject. Being raised in So. California in the 60's and 70's, My Dad bought and sold Corvettes and muscle cars as a hobby before it was even cool, so I had a bunch of knowledge about "matching number" "Vettes !

I saw multiple units gutted and motors swapped with no regard to where they came from originally, as long as all the pieces were there ! Ran around with a duty driver for a Lt.Colonel that owned his own M151A1 ( Liked the split glass ) and he was able to have the guys upgrade the motor, paint it, whatever, and was actually a P.O.V. !

My buddy also told me stories of drivers trading favors to the Pool guys to get a better running engine, and the reverse, putting thier damaged engine in the vehicle of a back-up unit and so on ! Have to remember that these folks had the ability and equipment to do in a fraction of the time what would take us many more hours, if not days !

There used to be quite a bit of "good ol' boy" fun, and am sure that it still exists today, but thinking it was a lot easier to run rampant before the days of computers, barcode scanners and all the goodies used now !

For this very reason, I have always assumed that nothing on an MV is "original", at least to that particular vehicle ! Inspection, Inspection, Inspection ! :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks