• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce falls on it face on hills

maddeuce360

i just picked up my 1972 deuce. ive never driven one before and was wondering is it normal for the deuce to not be able to go over 25mph on small hills? i had to drop it into 3rd on some of them just to make it up. On flat it will run great - hills , now thats another story. would love some pointers and where to start to get her to perform better. thanks

maddeuce360

im definitely going to start there. ive read alot about the fuel filters getting installed upside down. i was just hoping its not normal for the deuce to run that way. i wasn't even hauling anything and could of jumped out and ran faster

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like said change all fuel filters then go to the TM and read Troubleshooting the 465. Check all pressures. Then you can raise the main fuel.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok TM 's still down
I have them downloaded.
New fuel filters check and or change air filter. With just the intank pump running gage at the bleeder screw on top of finial filters 4 to 7 lb.
With engine running at idle 30lb. With oil and water up to full temp no load test to 2600rpm and should be around 65lb.
If you numbers are close to that then you can raise main fuel.
Pyro is good to have. Under load 12lb boost I believe has been safe.
Hope someone will confirm that number for me.

Last edited:

FormerNewMVGuy

well i have to downshift on the hills, and i have my fuel turned up! I mean it is a 134 HP engine in a 13000 Lb truck.... They go real good downhill:razz:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I first read this, I thought it was O-NO another GIMP

Last edited:

hoop

If your compression is up to specs and you have fuel and air, there should be no reason to have to downshift on a small hill.
Period...

paulfarber

Check tire pressure!

TMs say run at 50PSI on hard surface roads.. I generally run at highest tire pressure marked on the tire for my car/motorcycle/jeep/CCKW.

My bicycle tires are inflated to 90PSI!

You will not hurt ANYTHING if you run the tires at MAX PSI (or a few under it). Run them to low and you are going to feel it in the pants (aka no acceleration, no power).

Get a tire gauge.

91W350

I am fairly new to deuces, but mine pulled all of the hills between Rapid City and US 81 on I 90 in high gear and all of them between I 90 and Salina Kansas on US 81 in high gear pulling my pickup. From prior diesel experience though, I would agree with everybody else, good filters are very important. Something nobody touched on is how old is your fuel? Stale, poor or fuel mixed with gasoline will knock off some power in a hurry. If it has been sitting idle for a long time, give it a couple of tanks before you worry too much about how it is pulling. When my fuel filters were slugging up with ice, there was a huge drop in power. That was the most expensive five gallons of water I ever owned. Glen

KsM715

If you run your tires at max psi and your not loaded down all you'll do is wear out the center of the tread faster and make the ride more harsh. On round tread NDT's thats not gonna matter much but if you have a tire with a squared off tread area you need to run the psi so the tread sits flat on the ground. That will get you the best tire wear and ride.

As far as the OP's question about downshifting on uphills the rest of the advice is good.

OldDominionIron2

From prior diesel experience though, I would agree with everybody else, good filters are very important.
Just did a fuel/oil/air filter change and the deuce drives like a new truck. 52-54 psi in the tires, and running with a piece of cardboard over the radiator (with a 8" circle cut out) because of the weather. Truck runs @ 180 F just like it's supposed to. Not a lot of hills around here, but lots of bridges with good sized approaches, and I stay in 5 high running 50 mph.

gunboy1656

Well my answer has already been taken, which hills around Pittsburgh do you call small? Up where I am I can get around and only need to downshift to 4th, granted I am not going down near the city.

bugwugger

turn up the fuel!! I got sick of running 40mph up small hills on the highway. Sick of fully loaded semi trucks passing me. turned the screw 4-5 turns and WHATCH OUT!! no need to hold the pedal to the floor now. no downshifting, no grandma in her chevette passing me at 45mph. HASPEN HERE I COME! im thinking I might even put my propane injection on her now!auaauaaua2cents2cents

baxter

I would agree with turning up the fuel but be sure to install a pyro. I'd hate to have your next question how much is a new motor.
Vaughn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks