• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fan mod/ upgrade

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys Ive searched and swore there was a post on changing the Deuce fan out and putting a Duramax fan in its place. Anyone done this ? I cant find the post.. Thanks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a synthetic generic fan from Summit with very satisfactory results. Much less rotating mass and no danger of a fan blade massacring the radiator.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a synthetic generic fan from Summit with very satisfactory results. Much less rotating mass and no danger of a fan blade massacring the radiator.

I wouldn't say no chance, seen plenty of them crack then fail horribly. I had one explode on the dyno, took out the radiator, upper and lower hoses, shroud and a mess of wiring. Had the hood have been closed, pieces parts woulda put holes in the fiberglass hood. Dam thing took out my coffee cup I had on the bench 6 feet away!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't say no chance, seen plenty of them crack then fail horribly. I had one explode on the dyno, took out the radiator, upper and lower hoses, shroud and a mess of wiring. Had the hood have been closed, pieces parts woulda put holes in the fiberglass hood. Dam thing took out my coffee cup I had on the bench 6 feet away!
OMG!!
I had those visions for the steel fan!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OMG!!
I had those visions for the steel fan!

Steel and aluminum bend when they strike things, yes, sometimes the radiator core gets damaged. Plastic/nylon, once compromised, come apart. On the other hand, I have seen trucks come in with cracked/broken composite fans that when the customer was notified, they just said, yeah, it's been like that for years.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the original thread with the summit part number. 20" fan. The blades are soft enough to be trimmed with scissors if there is fine tuning required.

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A composite fan mounted on a clutch-type mount would be nice! I wouldn't intentionally go thru 4-5 ft of water or whatever - so/ but if someone did I would think the clutch may slow it down or maybe stop it from breaking?? I was watching a video when back in the ( maybe 1960's) the military drove the deuce across a river over the cab , What fan would they be using ? i guess the Gov has plenty of funds to fix it tho..

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It turns the same way as the engine turns. D-Max fan turns opposite engine rotation.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It turns the same way as the engine turns. D-Max fan turns opposite engine rotation.
I found the following years ago:

"Can use a fan clutch off a 1996 F-350. Need 1 ½” set collar welded to the fan hub. Also, longer bolts are needed. Trim new blades to the same diameter as the original blades."

I hope this may help. I could use one of these blade-clutches if you find a couple.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 96' F-350 so that would probably be a early 7.3 powerstroke, guess ill have to look into that.
Or a gasser, IIRC they had 460s in the std and dually .I am unsure if the fan clutch is directional.

oddshot

DANG!!!!! :oops: I wouldn't have thought you could get a LDT-465 to rev that high.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DANG!!!!! :oops: I wouldn't have thought you could get a LDT-465 to rev that high.
KW W900 with a 15l 550 hp Cummins in it. Fans are overdriven so are spinning 1.5 or so faster than the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks