• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce flasher box troubles.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
interesting...I am having the same issues, I noticed that if I leave the flasher on for a while, the lights will be steady...then start to blink....after that, they seem to work fine...but is like they need to warm up or something before the lights will blink...
Indeed. When the flasher is not working and I turn the stalk to "left" and remove the green cap from the unit on the steering column, I can see the lamp glimming. It does not glim in any other stalk position. After a while of glimming, the flasher will spontaneously come on and (usually) work fine from then on. It can take anywhere from a couple to ten or fifteen minutes of "glimming" for the flasher to finally come on.

M1031CMT

This thread reminded me to go back and look at one of the deuces we have been having a problem with for a while. We couldn't get the flashers to work. Changed the bulbs, traced the wiring, changed the control arm, everything....or so we thought.

Remembered the ground problem we had on the other deuce, where the flasher module didn't have a good ground due to a broken wire. So I went to look at the one on the other deuce just now.....and found the flasher module is gone. Looks like someone pinched it from the truck. We have had the problem since before the move in the fall, when we didn't have time to look at it, so it was probably taken back then. Glad to be out of that place.

Just ordered a new module :?

kennys@wi.rr.com

I just fixed the same problem on a friends deuce. It was two bad wires up by the flasher lever. turns out they were touching. Check the wires for any breaks or freys.

DeucesWild11

Lots of posts on this topic so I tried to find the most recent one. My situation is a little different than others I have read. First my old flasher box seemed as if it was going bad so I picked up another one at the Sussex show last year (coming up in a week! yay). bolted it all in cleaned the grounds and boom the circuit breaker inside the 3 lever switch trips. So I thought this one may be bad and got another one to try out.. same thing. I took the unit out off the truck and ground it direct to the negative on the battery. It worked! but doesn't when bolted into the truck, it actually sparked!

It was then that I noticed that the harness and brass connector on the flasher box was getting voltage somehow and then when trying to ground out the box it shorted out the breaker. I re-wired the connector to the flasher box as the wires didn't look good but that didn't help either. At this point I am thinking of mounting the unit on some kind of rubber or plastic so it doesn't short out because then it would work fine. I am just wondering why the outside of the flasher box is getting voltage? Perhaps someone wired it wrong originally?

DeucesWild11

I'll look it up, in the meantime I think I will isolate the box somehow so it doesn't short out. I am thinking perhaps the ground and hot wire was switched somehow. But it looked untouched to me.

BTW the IP for the MEP I got from you is still working out great!

DeucesWild11

Didn't find anything on what the voltage should be going into the unit but I did find out that it is wired correctly. So here is my fancy hi-tech fix.. mounted it to a piece of wood..:-o Now my flashers flash..

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't find anything on what the voltage should be going into the unit but I did find out that it is wired correctly. So here is my fancy hi-tech fix.. mounted it to a piece of wood..:-o Now my flashers flash..
Hmm...interesting, the case of the flasher unit is normally isolated already, that's why you need the "C" wire connected to ground.
Voltages: "B" supplies 24 vdc (turns it on), "A" is the flasher output to the lights and "C", as stated, is ground.

DeucesWild11

Thanks cranetruck, it is a weird situation but when I tried mounting it normally I was getting some sparks as the case of the unit was getting electrified and I was grounding it at the same time. I'll check the voltage for "B" and see if anything looks weird. All I know is now it works perfectly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks