• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Floor Insulation

Woodsplinter

Forgot to mention I did install a Donaldson muffler. I measured the sound with a sound meter 2 ft from the stack opening and got:
94 dB before
84 dB after muffler install- quite a reduction!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the input guys! Right now I'm considering spraying with lizard skin, covering that with a FatMat type product, then topping that with Durabak.
I don't know the lizard skin, but I think that the FatMat would have some trouble sticking as well to something that has texture (if lizard skin does) unless it's really warm, maybe heat gun.

rolling18

I use 1/2 inch 8lb. carpet pad i got free from work then 1" fiber felt, then scrap house carpeting then finally rubber car mats!! lined the roof in egg crate foam with spray adheesaive. used the tar backed home depot stuff on the verticle surfaces and over all the holes on back wall.. all that plus a muffler almost quaiet as a normal semi Very talkable at highway speed!!

Blueduce

Just playing Devils advocate here fellas :evil:. Has any one considered the effects of moisture on any of these products/adhesives. I for one know that my rig can leek a bit of H2o into the cab and cab floor while I'm flying down the interstate at a blistering 52.5 mph or when it's just sitting in the driveway during a down poor. Not to mention fording any substantial water crossings.
Don't get me wrong I'm all for cab insulation and its benefits I just don't want all the product and hard work destroyed and useless the first time it get's wet. Has any one considered condensation under these (non-removable) mats causing premature rusting to the cab floor. Just my 2cents

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blue Deuce, That's why I decided to go the expensive rout and do FatMat/DynaMat.

As long as the floor and adhering steel is hot to touch and dry the product is an oil base adhesive and acts like a rust inhabiter when applied. I was in the Cadillac Plant a few years ago and saw first hand the product being applied/sandwiched between the floor and sub floor. Also of note my truck is 40 years old with MVO applied. I don't have rust now and I am sure there will not be any when I die in another 40 years with additional prevention applied. Good looking out...!

Woodsplinter

Blue,
Thanks for the heads up!
I was considering the Lizard Skin because it is a spray on product that bonds tightly to the metal. Once dry, water cannot get underneath it.
My deuce spent its' life with the Arizona ANG in Phoenix and is pretty much rust free.
Not much H2O around here to drive through 'cause it only rains twice a year! Lol!

Blueduce

Thanks islandguydon, That's what I was wondering. I will do the required research on this Fatmat/Dynamat. Are they the same product with just different names or are they two separate products. If they are different which one would you suggest.

Another one of the treatments I was considering was Line-X and that family of spray in liners.
If it works in a truck bed I'm sure it would work great on my floorboards/firewall. I'm just not sure of it's sound insulating properties. I'm sure there will be some difference but will it be enough to justify the $500 price tag.

sf price.

Blueduce

I feel ya Woodsplinter. I've never been to Phoenix but I was born in Las Vegas, NV. With the install of the A/C unit are you going to insulate your roof and door cavity's as well. If so I would love to hear your thoughts/suggestions/picks. I am going to be looking at insulation myself. Only I an moving to Colorado this summer so my needs are polar opposite. By the way, Nice rig.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blue,
Thanks for the heads up!
I was considering the Lizard Skin because it is a spray on product that bonds tightly to the metal. Once dry, water cannot get underneath it.
My deuce spent its' life with the Arizona ANG in Phoenix and is pretty much rust free. Lol!
I will post a picture of A/CCages Lizard skin Deuce, Jon had it applied on the whole interior and exterior, He actually had the truck painted with the stuff. Pics to follow when I get them

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, Now thats a bitchin clean Deuce, You have a truck to be proud of there. If you need anything let me know. Cheers:beer:

Woodsplinter

Thanks Don,
I lucked out when I found it at Idaho Motor Pool. I bought it just as you see it. Alex Gordon at IMP is a great, stand-up guy to deal with. I'm definately gonna need help working on this beast- will let ya know.
I'll post more pics as the work progresses.....

Woodsplinter

Hey quickfarms! Thanks for the tip on DB engineering- I checked out their website (http://cabinsulation.com)
and spoke with one of their engineers who had lots of good info on sound dampening.
He sent me some free samples and I am going with their acoustical floor mat for the floor and firewall and perforated vinyl (1/2" foam with flexible vinyl covering) for the walls & roof. Will post pics after I get started.

lawdog1623

I sprayed mine with bed liner and then added a rubber "stall" mat from tractor supply. It looks great. Welcome to the forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks