• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Frame Rail Height

bajajoaquin

I have a copy of the standard Deuce dimensions sheet, and it doesn't show the height of the bed. By estimating from the given height of the front bumper (43-1/4"), I am guessing from the drawing that the frame rails under the bed are about 45"

Can anyone tell me the height of the frame rails under the bed by measurement?

How about the height of the bed?

Attachments

Last edited:

Akicita

The floor of the bed of an empty M35A2 with 9:00x20 NDTs at road inflation is about 50 inches off the pavement.
That is slightly higher than the bed of standard trucks and loading docks.
If you have larger tires, your floor is higher off the ground.
I have the standard NDTs on my M35A2. It aligns nicely with the loading dock at our local Purple Heart.

Attachments

bajajoaquin

"Building" is getting ahead of it a little bit!

I'm interested in building a camper, but for various reasons, I'd rather not start with an M109. I'm trying to figure out if I can keep it under 12', including some roof-mounted stuff. My estimations so far say that I should come out at 11'6" but without knowing the height of the frame rails, it's just a guess.

And I figured as long as I was asking, I'd just ask for the bed height, too!

rlwm211

The M109 is lower than a deuce with a S280 shelter by a few inches. It is generally agreed that the M109 is about 10-8. The Shelter on my deuce is 11-2. I am assuming 9x20 tires as that is what I have on my deuce.

RL

Akicita

I'm interested in building a camper, but for various reasons, I'd rather not start with an M109. I'm trying to figure out if I can keep it under 12', including some roof-mounted stuff. My estimations so far say that I should come out at 11'6"
Most of the really large motorhomes sold today are between 11' and 12'6" tall INCLUDING the roof antenna. Only a few are higher than that.

With a Deuce, you won't always travel on interstate and other major highways where 12'6" is OK. On country roads you may find underpasses with not enough clearance to let you pass through. I found many in the Northeastern and mid-Atlantic states. You also want to think of low branches on trees when you go off-roading with your RV. The higher it is, the more problems you're likely going to run into.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The max legal highth for trailers on the road is 13'6". By law all power lines, cables etc must be higher than that.

Any bridge less than that has to have warning signs posted well before you get to them.

That is not to say that out in the boonies you may not run into a low hanging line or obstacle.

Rand McNally publishes an atlas for truckers that shows where all the low bridges are and routes that may have overhead obstructions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks