• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce from Ft. Drum?

Rich219

Has anyone purchased and picked up a deuce from GL @ Ft. Drum? How hard would it be to get one of these back to the Rochester area? I really want to pick one up and modify it and then use it as an advertising vehicle for a company I'm starting but don't know who difficult it would be to get back to my home.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM sent

sandcobra164

Man, you're as lost as the guy I sold one to. He's trying to sell it now since upkeep and maintenance is relatively expensive. They bob cheaply enough and buying at auction is a crapshoot. You can get it home but plan on a full out recovery including having it picked up and loaded onto a truck if you're plans don't work out.

Rich219

Man, you're as lost as the guy I sold one to. He's trying to sell it now since upkeep and maintenance is relatively expensive. They bob cheaply enough and buying at auction is a crapshoot. You can get it home but plan on a full out recovery including having it picked up and loaded onto a truck if you're plans don't work out.

I'm not looking to purchase one for a few months, that's why I'm asking the questions now.

I'm guessing you have to have a special tow truck to tow one of these?

:lost:lol

velociT

I'm not looking to purchase one for a few months, that's why I'm asking the questions now.

I'm guessing you have to have a special tow truck to tow one of these?

:lost:lol
How far are you away from Drum?

I drove mine about 70 miles last weekend, highway cruising speed 40mph.

Wouldn't want to drive it for much longer than that.

Remember that you'll want to change all the fluids before driving it again.

rlwm211

My truck came from Drum. I had JATONKA haul it home for me. Just as well as there were no brakes that could be counted on.

I would suggest you try to network with other MV owners in your area and figure out your strategy BEFORE bidding on a truck. There is no sense winning a truck and finding out afterwards you have two or three times the cost of transportation to get it home than you figured.

I did explore getting a transport permit to drive the truck home and ran into a DMV solid brick wall. If you get caught driving it home without tags or insurance in NYS you will have a big problem. Many invitations to meet with the local judge and also lots of tow bills.

My suggestion is to find a hauler, get a price and then bid, and hope to win.

JATONKA has told me the GL manager at Fort Drum is a good guy. I would take John at his word on that.

Hope this helps

RL

x-ray

I've done a "drive out" recovery from Ft Drum to Brockport (West of Rochester) without problems. That was back when they had more deuces and more were listed as "starts and runs" and I took the time to go up and preview them first to pick out a few that really were drive-able.

Hard to say without actually carefully previewing if the current crop of trucks would be drive able. GL seems to be more deliberately vague on condition these days.

Feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions.

Rich219

How far are you away from Drum?

I drove mine about 70 miles last weekend, highway cruising speed 40mph.

Wouldn't want to drive it for much longer than that.

Remember that you'll want to change all the fluids before driving it again.

I'm about 175 miles.

maxspeed250

Doghead was a big help to me with my deuce recovery, and can offer options and/or advice on your potential recovery. Whatever you decide to do, have a alternate plan as sometimes things may not go your way. About a year ago I requested quotes to various transporters, and the average quote I received was around $900.00 for the same distance you have to go. MUCH less expensive methods are driving it home (difficult to do legally), or flat tow it behind a vehicle of similar size. One last thought is many of the deuces have been purged from government inventory, and availability from Fort Drum in particular has been spotty for awhile now. Hope you find the one you want.

velociT

I'm about 175 miles.
You could if the truck is a good runner.

I would highly recommend giving the truck an oil change before you do. I only stress this after seeing what came out of mine. I wouldn't want it to run 1 minute with that crap. The oil filters were in ok condition. Both batteries dead.

You'll have to be patient and not exceed 2k rpm's in 5th as these trucks seem to scatter the motor with constant 2.5k rpms (redline).

2k rpms in 5th is 40mph indicated.

Rich219

Thanks for the info so far. I'm going to keep my eye on both Mechanicsburg, PA and Ft. Drum.

Ideally I don't want to try to drive it home, it's going to be much too far of a drive for my luck to stay with me. I'm going to keep my eyes on some auctions for now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks