• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Front axle shaft

z06vincer

Hello Men,

For the first time in over 5 years I've ran into a situation that I can't resolve using the search engine or TM's.
Thanks to all for the tons of info and instructions.

I need some advice on verifying if I have a bent front axle shaft, or another issue, before I pull the trigger on an axle shaft purchase $$$.

While reassembling the left (driver’s side) front axle on my 1970 Deuce, I noticed a gap (1/8”), on top only, between the steering knuckle and spindle flange. After tightening the spindle/backing plate nuts, the axle shaft locks up. Zero movement, left to right, up or down. I could rotate the axle, but only with a great amount of force, while using a pair a channel lock pliers.

I am 99.9% certain that the inner axle seal and retainer are fully seated. I replaced a new set just to verify this. All measurements, from the inner axle seal retainer to the spindle mating surface on the steering knuckle, are the same when comparing the left side to the right. Also have the same results when swapping spindles from left to right, etc.

I also de-burred and polished the ends of the axle shafts that are joined by the U-joint. Prior to de-burring, I could only rotate the shaft 180 degrees before it would bind inside the knuckle. After de-burring, I could rotate the shaft 360 degrees, but still with great difficulty.

This project started as a steering knuckle boot replacement (2nd time) and a brake system rebuild (master cylinder, wheel cylinders, air-pack, brake lines....)

I have U-joint style axle shafts.

During initial dis-assembly, I do recall having to pry apart the spindle from the steering knuckle but did not check for any axle shaft movement.

The right side went back together as it should.

All replies are greatly appreciated.