• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce front U bolts needed ASAP!!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive started my bob job and the only parts I still need are the U bolts (4) for the front springs. The local shop out here wants $35 each to make them. Anybody have any laying around for sale? By Sunday I hope to be installing the single rear axle and will be stuck without the U bolts. Thanks in advance, Devin

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Duece front U bolts needed ASAP!!

Isn't there a big rig place near by? I have bought ALOT of parts from Peterbuilt of Cincinnati and seen lots of big Ubolts on their shelves. You are not supposed to re-use them either, I think. I hope you find what you need.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Devin, try one of the truck dealers out on the 210, just south of the 5. There is a Westrux, Boerner truck center and a Peterbilt. I'd do Pete first, the others are jerkwads. There is a place in SFV thea La City uses, Also, United Truck And Auto.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

Did'nt think of that, thanks. I think Offroadfabworks has some. I haven't heard of not re-using them before, anybody else know if thats a big no-no?

Jake0147

Re: RE: Duece front U bolts needed ASAP!!

Djfreema said:
Did'nt think of that, thanks. I think Offroadfabworks has some. I haven't heard of not re-using them before, anybody else know if thats a big no-no?

Yes, it's a bit no-no to re-use a U-bolt. That said however, these bolts when torqued correctly are not loaded nearly so much as some, the engine and overall driveline ratios don't abuse them so much, etc, so while it IS a bad practice in general, if one were going to bend the rules this application would lend it's self much better than some others. If one were to reuse a U-bolt, there's another big thing, that is re-torqing. Sometimes brand new are overtorqued to prevent the need to retorque (at some shops it's "the standard"), however with used ones I would absolutely not skip this step. I don't know your experience or how tuned in your "click elbow" is, but the threads on the bolts and nuts need to be absolutely and completely 100% clean if a torque wrench will be involved.

russ81

RE: Re: RE: Duece front U bolts needed ASAP!!

I work in Heavy Industry. Hardware almost NEVER fails. People fail the hardware. When hardware is designed for a specific application, all the variable are taken into consideration. ie, shock loading, point loading, lateral and axial stress. Almost all fastener failures happen from improper installation, or using the wrong product.

Clean, lubricated threads, proper torquing, and proper bearing surface (square and flat) will almost never result in failed hardware. Over torquing a bolt.....even a little bit.....will result in failure. The stretched bolt will not heal itself. Once over stressed it should be removed from service. Properly handled hardware can be used over and over again for quite a long time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks