• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fuel Cap Vent

MILRET45

While cleaning up my rusty fuel tank, pump, etc. I noted that the fuel cap has a small propellor like tab on the tank side center of the cap that allows shifting from a vented to non-vented condition for fording. I can't find any reference to this fuel cap feature in the -10 section on fording operation.

The question is in which position is the cap venting? The tab has something like an at rest position between two shoulders but when turned 90 degrees rides up the shoulders and centers between two indentations. In this position a spring loaded center pin is pulled outward or away from the underside of the cap. When twisted back 90 degrees the tab allows the center pint to go to a non-tensioned retracted position.

Which is what?

Bill W

The deuce already has a vent in the tank but to answer your question, when you turn the little tab on the cap 90o to where its tight on the lobes then the vent is off, turn it another 90o to where its free then the vent is on.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce tank says not vented?
Do beleive that all tanks have the vent line that runs to the road draft tube. Does your have three lines on the tank? I have seen two different caps. Vented wich must be closed on fording and novented that are ready if still sealing tight can ford.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So then what is the purpose of the line indicating how much to fill it?
Hot sun and or heat from the engine can expand the fuel.
I have gone alittle beyond the fill line if I know I will be going nostop for the day ( M816 plus one) but I have never overfilled and then parked the truck.

Last edited:

eagle4g63

So then what is the purpose of the line indicating how much to fill it?

I can answer that, with experience:oops:......IF you over fill the tank and the sun is on it, like said the fuel will expand.....IF you have a NON-vented cap and it seals nice then the fuel will push into the vent and if enough...a nice puddle forms under your truck. IF you have one of the vented caps and it over expands....fuel runs out all over the tank and again....nice puddle under the truck.

From an EPA standing( I use to do environmental clean up) a spill of fuel on the ground is a big no no......for a safety stand.....that puddle could end up lit some how and burn down your truck!!!

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the vented caps (with the valve to switch from vented to non vented) like that were originally for gen sets, not deuces. Thats why you dont find them in the TM.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=Wildchild467; like that were originally for gen set.
Interisting thought. If you look at the 809 series tanks they have two vent ports (both sides same tank) but connect to a single line. Just don't want to get a vacuum going on?

Also since we are dancing around. I had thought on the Deuce anyway for fording deep that you should have some sort of road draft extension that bring it up higher than water level, the compressor line to the air cleaner and of course the flywheel housing plug in.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks