• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce fuel gauge

redneck rebel

the fuel gauge in our duece hasnt worked since we owned it. as we may make some long trips with it in the future I would like to have it working.

at this time I am storing it at a buddys house, and dont get to look at it daily. Would like to have some thoughts when I go out there next.

Any common problems with them? I assume its a float type sending unit like most old vehicles? OR? hopefully its just a bad power or ground, but any other thoughts or ideas or recommended tools to take would be great.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe there is a troubleshooting section in the TM to fix this. You should definately check them out.

I would get the multimeter out and test the ohms at the sender to chassis ground (make sure the tank is grounded). then make sure your gauge has power going in, make sure gauge is grounded, check the ohm value of the pin on the sending unit to chassis ground to see if it is in spec, check the wire for contunity from the sending unit to the gauge. That was a run on sentence, but you get the idea. :grin:

redneck rebel

cool.

this gauge if memory serves me (been a month or so since I been in it) is an aftermarket one.

If yours is the factory one with the blackout lights in it I would LOVE to have it! let me know what you would want and what shipping will be!

And wild child. The first thing i will check is the power to ground situation. Then go from there. Thanks.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
on level ground a full deuce fuel tank should have about 40 usable gallons of fuel. Take your tank and measure it with a wooden stick (with the strainer assembly out) and mark it, drive 100 miles, and measure again. Compute your fuel mileage. Compute how far you can go on 30 gallons. Go on long trips and stop for fuel every time you think you have used 30 gallons. Remember, all deuce fuel gauges lie, so NEVER trust them. Know how much you started with and refuel often, you will not get stranded because of lack of fuel if you ALWAYS follow that rule.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not just deuce fuel gages lie ALL mv fuel gages lie, the only good fuel gage that never lies is the end of a broom handle

Clay James

The fuel gauge on my 109 actually doesn't lie. When it's full it's full and when it's empty it means empty(well empty enough to kill the engine). Guess I got lucky:grin: Of course the one in my A2 doesn't work though, it's on full all the time.

crazywelder72

well i just fried mine today so if there are any more free ones kicking around just let me know.... Also i just want to add that when i got my duce the sender was horribly corroded on the most important part (the little rheostat). I was able to salvage it by cleaning it in my ultrasonic cleaner. It beats spending $50. If anyone needs it done, just pm me. (no charge other than shipping):beer:

rlwm211

I know that even though my gauge works, I cannot trust it. If I am heading on a long trip, I fill the truck and then stop for fuel based on mileage covered and not what the gauge says.

I have driven my truck on trips enough times to know pretty much how many miles per gallon I get.

I also always carry 5 gallons with me so I can go the extra few miles if need be if I run out or are close to it.

That to me is worth more than a working gauge.

m816

I also have no idea why they put fuel gauges in deuces or even five tons. I never trust them and keep a stick handy and a couple full fuel cans on board.

When I recovered my deuce 2 weeks ago, (wow, that 2 weeks went by fast!) I found a nice looking stick to use to dip my tank and I keep it in the battery box now. It looks like a miniature forest walking staff. lol
The whole 580 miles back, while I was doing this,:driver:
my fuel gauge was doing this. --->:jumpin:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to clean out the fuel tank on my M814, so when I refilled the tank, I used 4 gerry cans(5 gallons each, filled at the gas station). As I filled the tank, I took an old ax handle, and made a mark at each level as I filled the tank, with the truck on level ground. So, now I have a Mark I fuel gauge, accurate to the nearest five gallons, which will never break.
The M814 gets 5-6.5 mpg, so I plan accordingly.:jumpin:

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember, all deuce fuel gauges lie, so NEVER trust them. Know how much you started with and refuel often, you will not get stranded because of lack of fuel if you ALWAYS follow that rule.
Boy THAT is no lie! I ran my just-purchased truck out of fuel. The gauge read 1/2 (when I looked inside with the strainer removed, it LOOKED like half!) when I left the purchase place, then stalled on the freeway ten miles from home with a dry tank. Still read 1/3 which I had calculated to be correct based on 10 m.p.g. It caused the tank pump to bind up and blow the tank fuse. I got 10 gallons of diesel in it, got it running, and added fuel at the next station. The tank was then about 1/2 full and the gauge read 3/4. It would have been an EASY run if I had been suspicious of the gauge and checked it with a stick!

The previous owner said he had no history of problems. It was a very good purchase price and I should have known better than to trust a 44-year-old gauge, so too bad for me this time. Especially since I have worked with diesel equipment for years.aua

Barrman

It is a 50 gallon tank and is 15 inches tall. That means every 3 inches of tank is 10 gallons of fuel.

My Gasser M35 needs about 6 gallons of fuel in the tank to run. I have a stick that stays under the seat with grooves cut in every 3 inches. When I get to the last groove, I have about 10-15 miles to empty on level ground and could run dry on any up or down slope.

I haven't taken the Whistler M35 down below 6 inches yet, so I have no idea where its usable fuel runs out.

rolling18

I also have no idea why they put fuel gauges in deuces or even five tons. I never trust them and keep a stick handy and a couple full fuel cans on board.
cuz they look "COOL!!" can't have too many gauges!! my gauge is "pick-A-level" :deadhorse:

I took mine out, very corroded, cleaned it up, plugged it back in (while out of the tank) and moved the float up and down by hand and watched the gauge needle move smoothly and accurately. (unlike my typing)

After re-installing it in the tank, it went back to its old behavior of flicking bet empty and full constantly (while the engine was running only??)