• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce fuel leak help

AvrgJoe

I have just finished changing the oil an fuel filters recently, before I changed these the truck was starting and running perfect. Now, afterwards it takes a few tries to start it and keep it running. Once it is going... no problem. Just thinking logical I was guessing it may have had a small leak allowing the fuel to get a little air in the system. I just moved it for the first time from one place to another inside my shop. From starting point to stoping point I had a trail of diesel. After a quick look....I found a big leak, the fuel filter up top, the one furthest from the fire wall is leaking a steady drip from the drain cock on the bottom of the canister. Also I found a cover gasket on the bottom of the fuel pump is also dripping about 1 drop every 5 seconds.

The questions at hand:

1: Does any one know what size the drain cock threads are so I can go ahead and replace both, if not all 3 of those?

2: Does any of the suppliers have single gaskets for the fuel pump if tightening the screws don't work? Or do you just use some RTV?

Thanks,
Joe

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What cover on the fuel pump is leaking? Pic?

AvrgJoe

Thank you sir, I thought they might be but wanted a little confirmation. I am hoping to pull one and replace it without having to drain all the fuel

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is IP gasket kits available on egay. I know many that have simply tightened the bolts to the fuel pump and things stopped leaking.

gimpyrobb

Nah, thats the cover for the bottom of the quill shaft. If tightening up the screws doesn't work, pull it off and make your own gasket.

The booster pump has the hoses going to it.

AvrgJoe

Nah, thats the cover for the bottom of the quill shaft. If tightening up the screws doesn't work, pull it off and make your own gasket.

The booster pump has the hoses going to it.
That's what I needed, good news. I will be on it tonight after work. One thought, I am guessing this is the lower pressure side of the pump? How much preassure is on the high pressure side?

gimpyrobb

The booster pump takes 5-7psi and bumps it up to 70psi. Once the fuel gets to the hydraulic head, it gets up to 3000psi.

AvrgJoe

After much frustration, I got my leaks fixed. I used 2 different drains for the bottom of the fuel filter canister and 1 plug and it was still leaking. I finally decided there had to be more to it, I removed the canister and found a torn o-ring in the groove of the fuel filter manifold. After buying another filter just to get the o-ring I reassembled it and just like that .... no leaks. I was lucky enough to be able to just tighten the bolts on the injection pump to stop that leak. I think I need to go thru and check all the bolts though, it seems to have little drops here and there and every where? While I had the fuel system apart anyways I went ahead and replaced the copper fuel line that wraps around the front of the oil pan from the primary fuel filter to the bottom of the injection pump. I hated the way it kind of hung down where you could see it. New hose made this morning and a couple of 1 hole straps and its like new again.

Just want to say thanks to you guys for chiming in and helping me out. All things being equal I will take her out for my first .... longish trip, Headed north about an hour or so to a friends house with a lift and the tools for larger trucks for some more basic maintenance. I am systematically going thru all the mechanics of the truck and doing maintenance it since it has set for near 5 years.

AvrgJoe

well, not so fast... the injection pump is leaking again in the same place it was....aua.... Looks like this weekend will be me pulling the covers and making new gaskets.

The drain cocks are standard 1/8"npt available at your local hardware store in the plumbing section.
Just an FYI, the drain cocks on my truck are 1/4" NPT, not the 1/8"? Not sure if this is true for all of the Deuces but it is for mine. I replaced 4 of them. (3) 1 on the bottom of the 3 fuel filter canisters and 1 on top of the secondary and final fuel filter manifold..... all 1/4" NPT