• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Fuel

JAYHAWK 1962

just a question. how are the rest of you all filtering the used oil? what kind of a setup? i know we used to use a cloth bag to filter the used cooking oil many many moon ago. do any of you use a magnet in case there is any metal in it or are you just trusting the vehcile filters will do this. thanks!

AndrewH

About a year ago the marina I work at stopped selling fuel at the dock. I bought the filtes and equipment from thet setup. It uses big canister filters to clean out big debris and water, and a finer filter to 'polish' I filter to 10 micron before I put it into the truck. The fuel pump service guys that had to uninstall the das dock said thats all a gas station does. Good enough for your car, good enough for the deuce. I suggest filtering on hot days or heating the oil. That makes the fine filters flow better. And heat will help settle out water and crud. I filter the 'multifuel into a 250 gallon tank and then fill the deuce as necessary. And for the Legal guys, I do regularly add diesel fuel to the tanks on the deuce to comply with road laws.

nhdiesel

For used oil, I have kind of a slick setup, just waiting to test it until I get my Deuces home. I got one of the 20-gallon oil drain buckets off ebay (same one Napa gets around $200 for, I paid around $120). Its on wheels, holds 20 gallons, and empties by hooking up an air hose and emptying through a hose and nozzle.

I looked at the pics and thought man, that looks like a little gas pump nozzle (kind of). On the outside of the container I attached a dual filter bracket and plumbed it inline with the outlet hose. Now just roll the container over to my truck, hook up the air hose, and push the used oil through 2 filters before it goes into the truck's fuel tank. Add in the Deuce's 3 filters, and I think it will get clean oil.

I worked at a repair shop and used my can as a drain bucket for only the customers I know have "clean" oil- nothing with 15k between changes, no blown head gaskets, etc.

Jim

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i dont think they are going to check a vehicle with historic plates on it. and if they do I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
In Tennessee they check anything with a diesel engine regardless of what plates you run. Besides that it's illegal and shouldn't be posted in a public forum if you are going to do it ;-). You can get by with running WMO and WVO and such because the cops aren't looking for that. What they are looking for is fuel dyed red. You can even get a ticket (that you'll have to fight in court) for running ATF (true story). Do what you want but with the hefty fines IMO it's not worth the risk.

nhdiesel

they dont tax waste motor oil or used veg oil. do you get screwed if you get caught running that too??

idc either way, i dont run off road on road. i keep it green in my dodge diesel and i dont run my deuce on the highway. but if you run everything and the kitchen sink in your fuel tank, can they do tests and see if theres off road in there too?

This is a big gray area. If you go by the letter of the law, you can be fined for running anything in your fuel tank that you haven't paid taxes on, including WVO and home-brew biodiesel. From the forums I've been on, I don't think its ever been completely tested in court. If you want to be 100% legal, you can run alternative fuels, keep track of how many gallons you used, and pay the tax at the end of the year. You can even do this with off-road diesel, by keeping records of paying taxes on it...at least you could before ULSD came out, and is required for use on the road...but thats a different matter.

However, most police and DOT aren't concerned about anything except red fuel in the tank. One thing I noticed by running a mix of waste motor oil and off road fuel in my Cummins powered Durango, the WMO turns the diesel so black that it doesn't show up as red. I have a clear fuel line (so I can check for air in the line) and when I've had any WMO in the tank recently, the fuel comes through BLACK. I doubt they could tell its off road with it being that dark.

Jim

Westex

Anybody that even attempts to give me trouble over what I run in my Deuce is going to have a nasty tea party problem on their hands, as I dont run off road diesel in my deuce, just waste oil. The day they try to tax that is the day we need a rally in D.C. All of us.

nhdiesel

I agree 100%. By govt. thinking, the tax is on FUEL, and ANY fuel that is run on the road. Putting anything into your tank, whatever it is, and burning it to move on the road, makes it road fuel and taxable. By their reasoning, if we found a way to power our vehicles with water, it would be taxed as well.

Yea, I run off road in my Durango. In N.H. the tax is called Roads Tax and is supposed to be used for road maintenance. Our roads are so bad that one of them washed away into a river. Our state road is so bad that regardless of the 45-50mph speed limits, we can't do over 30 with anything except my dualsport bike. When they start doing something about our roads, I may consider paying tax on my fuel. Then again, I don't think I should have to pay tax on something that I use to get to work, to trade my labor in exchange for money, which I get taxed on already. But thats a whole other matter.

Jim

Keith_J

One thing to remember is putting non-taxed, off-road diesel in the tank is intentional tax evasion. And if you are running 100% ATF that is dyed red, they cannot tell the difference.

But if they dip the tank and find a witch's brew of used motor oil and diesel, they aren't likely to have issue.

Yes, road taxes don't seem to help, tell me all about it. Here in Texas, a full 25% of revenue collected ON MOTOR VEHICLE FUEL TAX are given to education. And the majority of congestion? From people escaping poor performing school districts WHICH ARE GETTING MOST OF THIS FUEL TAX REVENUE!

Thankfully the Trans-Texas Corridor is DEAD. Which should help to fix real problems.

So, don't get caught with red dyed fuel in your tanks! And if you are using waste motor oil, dilute it with diesel. Mixing diesel will also lower the load on the injection pump cam/follower.

FormerNewMVGuy

In Tennessee they check anything with a diesel engine regardless of what plates you run. Besides that it's illegal and shouldn't be posted in a public forum if you are going to do it ;-). You can get by with running WMO and WVO and such because the cops aren't looking for that. What they are looking for is fuel dyed red. You can even get a ticket (that you'll have to fight in court) for running ATF (true story). Do what you want but with the hefty fines IMO it's not worth the risk.

Ok !! you win! Im a retard , and will only run 100% clear fuel in my truck from this moment forward, Thank you so much for straightening me out on this matter. I feel like a new man :-D

cessnatwin

I have never run anything except diesel, I have heard to many horror stories on the injector pumps! The price of fuel hasnt been a concern, I would like to try some of these mix's but always afraid of it costing me a lot more headache!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as it is filtered properly and the wter is removed, I've found the deuce to be very reseptive of different fuel mixtures. I'm glad it has a variable diet. I burn WMO, WVO, UHO, UTF, E85, Gas, MGO, Biodiesel, diesel, etc. Never had an issue. And I've put about 8k on my truck since I got it.

Keep a set of filters in the truck with you all the time, no matter what you are burning that is a good idea.

When I was making Bio in VA, the tax was $0.16 a gallon. So every year I just sent the state $16. :-D

Chief_919

One thing to remember is putting non-taxed, off-road diesel in the tank is intentional tax evasion. And if you are running 100% ATF that is dyed red, they cannot tell the difference.

But if they dip the tank and find a witch's brew of used motor oil and diesel, they aren't likely to have issue.

Yes, road taxes don't seem to help, tell me all about it. Here in Texas, a full 25% of revenue collected ON MOTOR VEHICLE FUEL TAX are given to education. And the majority of congestion? From people escaping poor performing school districts WHICH ARE GETTING MOST OF THIS FUEL TAX REVENUE!

Thankfully the Trans-Texas Corridor is DEAD. Which should help to fix real problems.

So, don't get caught with red dyed fuel in your tanks! And if you are using waste motor oil, dilute it with diesel. Mixing diesel will also lower the load on the injection pump cam/follower.
In NC people were getting off charges by saying they had added ATF, so now the state sends any fuel sabple that comes out red to a lab, who checks to make sure it is fuel dye and not ATF. Then once it is confirmed to be fuel dye, the ticket is issued.

That said, people running WVO and WMO in a non-commerical use are exempt from the road use tax if they would have owed under $2000 in a year in NC.

Chief_919

The same dye used to denote off-road fuel is used to dye transmission fluid.
According to the state of NC it is not- maybe they require a different one for off road fuel sold here?

I know the reports also list concentration of dye, maybe they base it on that.

cessnatwin

OK let me understand this a little better! Can I run this oil with no adjustments or anything to my injection pump? I have no clue, I own am automotive shop and I have unlimited supply of used oil, should I try it in my deuce mixed with diesel? HOW DO I MIX IT OR ADJUST IT?

nhdiesel

A multifuel's pump automatically adjusts for changes in the viscosity of the fuel. Thats what allows it to run almost any mix of thick and thin fuels, such as motor oil. Personally I would run a decent mix of diesel or gas in there to thin it a bit, to make it easier to get through lines, filters, etc. I'm probably just being overcautious though.

I even run waste motor oil in my 4bt powered Durango. I just never run more than 25% motor oil in the tank, usually more like 10-15%. It doesn't seem to smoke any more and its a good way to recycle the oil into something usable.

The key things about waste oil are to make sure its CLEAN, or PURE is a better word. No water, antifreeze, synthetics, chunks, etc. If you are a mechanic and can read the customer's vehicle and know its a well maintained vehicle, keep that oil. Use a separate container for your Deuce's fuel/oil to keep contaminated oil out of it. Most people just dump it in the tank and go. I like to filter it first...check my above post for my method. My father (Beaubeau on here) has been running his Deuces on all of his waste motor oil, trans fluid, hydraulic fluid, etc. When he had to use a Deuce to go to PA (500 miles each way) to tow back a 5-ton, he left N.H. with a full fuel tank and second tank in the body full of whatever he had around. Free fuel to PA!

Depending on what you run, you may notice changes in the power of the truck. Some oils have less BTU available to make power with and will reduce power and fuel mileage a bit. But if the fuel is free, its not hard to live with 1 or 2mpg less mileage!

Jim

cessnatwin

I pull a lot of clean atf fluid from cars Via the flush system and it may be a little old or burnt but all I do is give it away, can I put it in my truck and run it, seriously with no adjustments? I love my truck she is better than new, and I am paranoid of messing her up?

nhdiesel

With access to a shop such as you have, set up a drain bucket/filter system like I have and use all the ATF you can get your hands on. Diesels love the stuff, even regular diesels. It helps to clean the fuel systems and burns great. Just avoid the late model Mopar stuff, its synthetic and doesn't burn well. But even if a little slips into the bucket, it will handle it fine.

These trucks were designed shortly after two very major wars, at least one of which had major issues finding enough fuel. The multifuel was designed to burn whatever they could get their hands on at the time. I've read plenty on here that says if its liquid and burns, and makes BTUs, the Multifuel can handle it.

You can even use gear oil diluted with thinner fuels, but I would be especially careful about filtering that. Unless you specialize in doing diffs and manual transmissions, I would probably avoid the small amounts you would typically get.

Oh yea, and they also really love waste veggy oil, if you happen to have access to a nearby restaurant. Just avoid it in cooler weather, it thickens up too much.

Jim

cessnatwin

Everything from almost 2000 and up uses a BG products synthetic called part #2134! Synthetics are now very common, should I seriously avoid this or just dilute it better with a diesel from the station pump! I really want to try this out as I own multiple Deuces!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks